The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why do pages render differently/have problems in Saf/OW? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just curious as to why in Safari and OW pages render differently or have separate problems altogether since they are both based on WebKit. In OW pages are sometimes "flatter" (as in Firefox) or don't work properly at all (can't get gmail or Amazon online book reader to work). Shiira does not, however, have the same set of issues (though I must confess to using it very little).

In the future I assume these issues will be rectified.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com
Just curious as to why in Safari and OW pages render differently or have separate problems altogether since they are both based on WebKit.
OmniWeb and Safari are both based on WebKit but not the same version. OmniWeb uses a snapshot of the WebKit currently under development on <http://webkit.opendarwin.org/> Where as Safari uses the system WebKit which is based on a slightly older version.

Quote:
In OW pages are sometimes "flatter" (as in Firefox) or don't work properly at all (can't get gmail or Amazon online book reader to work).
I'm not sure what you mean by flatter but one of the risks in using this newer version of WebKit is that new issues can come up. The advantage is that old issues are fixed so it's kind of a trade off I suppose. :)

When you see a problem in OmniWeb you might want to test it in WebKit (see the release notes). There's also a discussion on this here:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=298

Now you mention gmail. This actually should work for you. If you are having issues please let me know what isn't working for you.

Also, make sure you're not spoofing as Safari. Just identify as OmniWeb and things should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
OmniWeb and Safari are both based on WebKit but not the same version. OmniWeb uses a snapshot of the WebKit currently under development on <http://webkit.opendarwin.org/> Where as Safari uses the system WebKit which is based on a slightly older version.
Thanks, as always Troy.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by flatter but one of the risks in using this newer version of WebKit is that new issues can come up. The advantage is that old issues are fixed so it's kind of a trade off I suppose. :)
I meant more Firefoxy in appearance, if that makes any sense. Since SP came out, I haven't used Safari. Now going back I realize that many site graphics, mainly buttons, appear flatter in both browsers. My mistake. This is purely cosmetic and doesn't bother me much.

Quote:
Now you mention gmail. This actually should work for you. If you are having issues please let me know what isn't working for you. Also, make sure you're not spoofing as Safari. Just identify as OmniWeb and things should work.
Got this working now, no problem.
Finally, any ideas about Amazon's online book reader not working with OW? It does work fine with Safari. Seems it could be a plugin issue.

I don't wish to sound overly picky here. But I generally like to use one browser exclusively for my surfing. Now that OW is much faster and can be used with LiveDictionary, I'm more than ready to make it my default, especially since OW offers features no other browser can boast of. Just hope that the minor inconveniences can be resolved.

Thanks and keep up the fantastic work!

Quote:

Finally, any ideas about Amazon's online book reader not working with OW? It does work fine with Safari. Seems it could be a plugin issue.
No workaround right now. I *think* this is a webkit issue. I have a bug filed on the problem and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks Troy. So in this case the newer Webkit is causing the problem?

Amazon did reply to my email inquiring which plugin may be needed. But their response simply states the obvious and what their site suggests, mainly, user IE, Safari, or FF.

See this thread for the actual reply.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=863

Quote:
I meant more Firefoxy in appearance, if that makes any sense. Since SP came out, I haven't used Safari. Now going back I realize that many site graphics, mainly buttons, appear flatter in both browsers. My mistake. This is purely cosmetic and doesn't bother me much.
If I understand correctly, the issue you're seeing is that OW now honors CSS applied to form fields.

OK, here's what I mean. Please bear in mind that these are simply minor cosmetic issues.

Safari

OmniWeb SP

That looks like OW is honoring the CSS and Safari isn't. Do you have a link to that page so I can view the source?

Here it is:

http://forum.redlers.com/viewforum.p...964143da7ecdb0

Must be it since in this forum the buttons appear as they do in the Safari screenshot above.

Thanks.

Yes, forrest is right. We're just displaying that button the way the site wants us to.