The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature Request: Just "due soon/overdue" on locations! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey there,
it would be much more useful for me, if I could choose, that OmniFocus iPhone shows me only the due-soon or overdue around me (locations) and not all.

Why? I've a context called Home and Office (beside all my customers) and when I'm near my home or office, all of this stuff appears and the list will to long for a quick search, what's to do around my current position -.-

Question-do you need to assign a location to Home and Office? I use the location awareness to remind me of tasks I need to do when I'm not at my home or office. If I'm running errands and need to check locations, I don't want to see my home or office tasks, even it they are due soon or overdue.

I concur with Greg; there's not much point in adding location info to a context where most of your actions are if that's also where you are most of the time. Greg, do you find the "always available" location button to be of any use? I guess maybe it is helpful if one's "do anywhere" actions actually get done with some alacrity, but most of mine seem to be low enough priority that it just clutters up the location screen without adding any value. Curious to know if others have a different experience.

Bill,

My experience is largely the same. Setting a context to Always Available clogs up my location-based action list. The only exception is my Phone context, since there are often actions there that I can knock off quickly while stuck in traffic. (I live in a railroad town. Fifteen minute delays to wait for a switching train aren't uncommon.)

Curt

So I should not use locations for home/office? ;)

Google still hasn't rolled out the support for viewing rail traffic in Google maps in Terre Haute? Maybe next week :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Greg, do you find the "always available" location button to be of any use?
Bill, I set up some contexts to be 'always available' when the location services feature was first added to OF. Over time, I've removed the 'always available' switch from all of them. Like you, and Curt, I found them to be more clutter than helpful.

I've actually modified my usage of the location services considerably since I first set them up. In addition to 'always available', I had Google searches for ATM locations, DIY stores, grocery stores, office supplies, post office, and on and on. I found that I really did not need the nearby/direction feature of location services-I need to be reminded of tasks when I am in a general geographic location, so I pretty much have eliminated all of the location contexts that I had.

As a little background, I work from home and live in a rural area, so I seldom need to travel anywhere just for business. I'm 7 miles from 'Small City A', 12 miles from 'County Seat City', and 35 miles from 'Metro City'. As an experiment, I created contexts for the above 3 cities, and set the location to be the GPS coordinates for the downtown of each one, respectively. I now assign errand contexts to the city where I would prefer, or in some cases, am required, to do the errand and it has worked splendidly for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
As an experiment, I created contexts for the above 3 cities, and set the location to be the GPS coordinates for the downtown of each one, respectively. I now assign errand contexts to the city where I would prefer, or in some cases, am required, to do the errand and it has worked splendidly for me.
That is really useful idea. When I am in my local town, I really just need to know what I have to do, but not the specifics of individual shops/services as I know where to go to get things done. I am going to follow your example and put more general location contexts into the iPhone.

Where I can see this more specific locations feature, using business searches, useful is if I am actually in an unfamiliar town/city. Then to have the map show me matches that might allow me to complete some tasks - location of ATMS, Post Offices, etc - would be helpful. But this level of detail is unnecessary in my home area.