The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPad interface feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Pretty short, but I hate to say it: the interface looks kind of odd to me from what I can see. I'm not sure about the way you show the nested folders/projects. I hope you have enough testers who have confirmed that this works for them. Personally, I'd rather have the structure separated from the items list...

Last edited by bnz; 2010-06-01 at 09:40 AM..

Thank you Ken, for posting this sneak peek, and I definitely want to see more screenshots before I formulate a real opinion, but I have to agree with bnz. My first thought upon seeing the sneak peek was that it looked really blocky, and I thought it was just a test UI.

However, I'm the first to admit that a 4 second video isn't enough time to pass judgement, so like I said, I'm eager for more!

Thanks Ken for this sneak peek. I've been waiting for Omnifocus for iPad for a while now. I must admit that the contrast between the background and the nested folders is rather too strong for me at the moment, but it was only a short video. It will be good to have the ability to use all the added screen estate of the iPad.

I have to say I was expecting something more along the lines of OF for the Mac. What was shown was sort of confusing. Perhaps that will be cleaned up before release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhedstrom View Post
I have to agree with bnz. My first thought upon seeing the sneak peek was that it looked really blocky, and I thought it was just a test UI.

However, I'm the first to admit that a 4 second video isn't enough time to pass judgement, so like I said, I'm eager for more!
yes I am with you lets see more but from what I see it is looking disappointing. Ken will you be posting more videos?

I agree with others. I hope this comes across as constructive criticism.

It must be something about being a Mac user, but I crave good looking UIs. Evernote over Devonthink, Chrome over Firefox, and frankly, Things (Mac) over Omnifocus (Mac) with regards to UI.

Thanks to everyone that's posting here - we're seeing a number of positive responses too, but we'd love to get a better idea what isn't working for folks.

We can't promise that each suggestion will go into the app, but if there are common threads running through the feedback, we'd love to take that into account. FWIW, the most common reaction seems to be relief that the app is actually on the way. :-)

If I may offer a suggestion about interface feedback - by itself, "I don't like it" doesn't give us much to go on. Any additional info folks can provide here or at omnifocus-ipad@omnigroup.com, would help the team quite a lot as they finish their work.

Is it the darker color scheme vs. the Mac/iPhone apps? If it doesn't look like what you expected, what were you hoping for? Feedback like that will help the team quite a lot.

I'll separate this out into a dedicated thread, but wanted to post here before doing so. Thanks very much, everyone - we really appreciate the help and your passion for OmniFocus.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-06-01 at 01:35 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by emck View Post
Ken will you be posting more videos?
Yep, more video is on the way. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If I may offer a suggestion about interface feedback - by itself, "I don't like it" doesn't give us much to go on.
Good point, but Im no designer. I know it when I see it :)

I'll post some thoughts that jump out for discussion here as well.

-The Folder list when the video starts looks confusing. Maybe move them closer together?
-The icons at the top look like they are different sizes and are not positioned correctly.
-"Inbox 0" seems kinda bland. Add slick looking icon here?
-I look at this next to Things for iPad and there's no comparison.

I say these mean things with the utmost respect. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Good point, but Im no designer. I know it when I see it :)
Same here, but I'll try to verbalize my "it looks blocky" statement.

I guess it's like Cameron said, where as Mac users we crave good looking UIs. The entire projects list on the right side looks like something that I, with no design experience, would do because I don't know any better. The left sidebar looks awesome, and I really like that, but the projects list just looks...boring. I'm not sure what I expect because I'm definitely in the same "know it when I see it" area, but I just expected something better looking.