The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Password protect document? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I searched the OO help but couldn't find anything on how to protect a password protect a document.

Doable?

BZ

We recommend that you create an encrypted disc image using Apple's Disk Utility. You can find Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities. Using an encrypted disc image allows you to store all kinds of documents in one secure location without a particular application supporting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
I searched the OO help but couldn't find anything on how to protect a password protect a document.
I've wondered about this in the past, and thought that one (dare I say 'easy'?) way to achieve this might be the ability to read and write encrypted Zip files, which would also reduce file sizes... but probably increase read/write times...

James' Disk Image suggestion is pretty good for personal use, it doesn't require developer support, and has other disk image benefits, but isn't as good for protecting shared files (e.g. in transit.)

It seems that encrypted Zip would be a good option as it could work without a dependance on OmniOutliner; you could at least decrypt the Zip file on any OS, which would be great for the export formats, and for Macs OO is bundled on a lot of them or the file could be imported (e.g. OmniGraffle)... or just go download the demo. :)

A 'cheaper' way to get this sort of functionality and more, would be another 'pro' feature I've suggested, the ability to attach AppleScripts to file actions, in this case closing the file -- upon closing the file an AppleScript/Action could pass the file off to another app to compress/encrypt the file.

Of course this would be much more powerful than that, you could basically do anything, so some care/restrictions may be necessary... if even possible within OG's scope. You'd have to look for problematic issues with file access, but running an AppleScript should not suppress normal warning dialogues etc.

Basically it's just an extension of the AppleScript Folder Action construct to the file level.

Anyway, it would open up some handy file management options (auto-upload a backup of a file, auto-export an updated OPML file to a web server, etc.) but would also be useful to OO work flows, and apps like kinklessGTD.

Not sure why it isn't easier for OmniGroup to put in a password level security to the document. Secure disks are only good for on my computer and not if the disk is open.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
Not sure why it isn't easier for OmniGroup to put in a password level security to the document. Secure disks are only good for on my computer and not if the disk is open.

BZ
The reason why we're hesitant to add document encryption is that if we make a mistake your data is likely lost. We're hoping that Apple is going to add document encryption to future versions of the OS. We'll seriously consider using it.

Hi there,

is there any development in progress for implementing an encryption feature at the moment? I feel like all my world domination plans could get some security. The easiest way would be a password protection with encryption for a single document (maybe as well for parts of a document?).

Disk images are far too unfriendly for my purpose as I work an different macs and share some files with other conquerors.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi Jan-

We have not changed our stance on implementing encryption ourselves. I am also not aware of any plans by Apple to implement document encryption (not that I know Apple secrets). Sorry.