The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Making date column appear in quick entry and default view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want "due date" to be a column available in the initial default view, and in the quick entry view. I can use the "view" menu to set it once, but next time I open OmniGraffle it is gone again. Instructions suggest setting up columns for perspectives, but the perspectives menu seems to indicate that this is not an option for the initial view ... nor is there any other preference item I can find.

I thought I recalled this issue being discussed before, but I didn't find it in the forum ... if it's a FAQ please refer me to the existing discussion or documentation (but I *have* tried searching the user manual, to no avail).

You're not alone. This is the single most annoying problem I have with OmniFocus - the fact that the default views do not retain my column settings.

The Quick Entry dialog does seem to retain it, so I end up using this 95% of the time.

I really hope this gets sorted soon.

Regards,

Ian

I think this post has the information you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I think this post has the information you're looking for.
Thanks Brian. I've try this, and it did save my setting after quitting and restarting OmniFocus. Once re-opened I can select between Planning Mode and Context Mode and the settings remain. However, as soon as I select a custom perspective and then back again, the setting is lost in the Planning Mode and I'm left without the Estimate, Start Date and End Date columns once again.

I'm running v1.0.1.

Regards,

Ian

I'm having the same problem and the suggested post doesn't help. Here's how I come across the problem.

I have two main perspectives; Work and Home. Both are Context views. I often like to work on project planning by selecting one of the items in these context perspectives and choosing Show in Planning Mode in the View menu. (BTW, why does it sometimes say Show in Context Mode when I'm already in context mode?)

The resulting planning mode view has no columns for Start, Due, or Estimate... not very helpful for planning.

I've gone through the "set default view" process described above. I've looked through the com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist and find column display defaults for context mode but not planning mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOn66 View Post
(BTW, why does it sometimes say Show in Context Mode when I'm already in context mode?)
That's a bug that we're working on tracking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOn66 View Post
The resulting planning mode view has no columns for Start, Due, or Estimate... not very helpful for planning.
Perspectives can store the settings for both views, but it isn't the default behavior.

You want to do the following:

Open the perspectives window. Click the "Show Perspective Settings" button at the bottom. (It's between the Snapshot button and the Quick Print button.)

Check the "Also restore settings for other mode" box.

Switch to planning view and add the columns.

Switch back to context view, then press the snapshot button.

I tried this a few times.. and I think I've figured it out.

Quote:
Setting the default behavior

1. Open OmniFocus
2. Select Perspectives -> Revert to Default View
3. Select View -> Show View Bar (if the menu item reads "Hide View Bar", skip this step.)
4. Control-Click the white column headers that appear just beneath the view bar. A contextual menu will appear with three choices: Estimate, Start Date, and Due Date. If you select an item from the context menu, the corresponding column will become visible.
5. Quit OmniFocus to make sure we save this change to your preferences.
Step 5 should say Apple-Q to quit OmniFocus.

That small change seemed to keep the "Due Date" column, which was what I was attempting.

Maarburg.