The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mail and AppleScript Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I travel a lot and constantly forward emails/text to myname+omnifocus@mydomain.com. I have a Mac Mini at home where I try to keep mail running so that the rules get applied and the items go to my OmniFocus Inbox instantly.

The problem is, that Mail.app tends to lose the connection after a period of time and is not reliable. I also run into the Gmail "too many connections" issue.

Is anyone aware of a more reliable solution? Something that runs as a daemon and supports rules/applescript?

Hmm. I have 2 iPads, an iPod touch, an iMac and often a MacBook all banging away on my gmail account (IMAP), and I haven't ever seen this error, nor does Mail.app ever "lose the connection". I find it very reliable for doing just what you describe.

One suggestion is to set up another gmail account, configure it only on the Mac Mini, and use it as a receive-only address for getting items into OmniFocus. That should largely eliminate any justification for getting the "too many connections" error wrt that account.

Sorry. I could have clarified this a bit more in my original post. Google only allows 10 connections at a time. I have a personal gmail account, plus 2 other accounts (hosted with Google Apps). Mail.app creates multiple connections when checking mail and there is no setting to limit the connections. Thunderbird for example default to 5 simultaneous, but can be configured.

If the connection limit is reached, Mail.app will not automatically reconnect unless the accounts are manually taken online, which is where the problem with the AppleScript rule comes in.

After some additional thought, I wonder if I could fix this with a quick applescript to shut down and re-open mail every hour or so....