The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Still living in my email in box! - Please help me design a method to quit! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If it is important to have Mail running all the time, leave the laptop plugged in, and don't close the lid. This is no different than making sure your desktop isn't shut down or put to sleep when you are using it as a server of some sort. I do this frequently, so I'm not sure why you are trying to convince me it cannot possibly work :)
I suggest if you have:

a) toddlers running around
or
b) have to pack away the laptop for travel

you might understand why its not possible to have your laptop on 24-7-365 with the lid up!

Suggesting to someone that owns a laptop not to put the lid down on it is like the challenge to eat a sugar sprinkled donut without licking your lips!

It can't be done! :)

You must have some extreme willpower operating.. :eek:

Last edited by Casper TFG; 2009-11-04 at 07:37 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper TFG View Post
I suggest if you have:

a) toddlers running around
or
b) have to pack away the laptop for travel
My 6 year old was capable of climbing to the top of the 6' cat tree before he could stand unassisted, so I've got quite a bit of relevant experience here. The same technology used to keep toddlers from falling down steps, walking out the door, playing with the oven, and otherwise out of harm's way also works well for keeping them away from the computers. So does active supervision :)

If your job requires you to be in constant email contact 24 hours a day, even when traveling, you or your employer can afford to dedicate a used Mac Mini for the purposes of stuffing email into your inbox. No need for a monitor, keyboard, or mouse -- cable it up to your laptop in FW target disk mode, configure everything, then install it somewhere out of the way.

Let's not lose sight of the matter that if someone sends you an email requiring action, you can just read it and act on it from your iPhone, whether or not it is in OmniFocus. Having it linked to an OmniFocus action isn't going to enable you to do things you couldn't do otherwise. Well, I suppose if you work as an OmniFocus tester for Omni, and the message was asking you to test some feature relating to mail processing, the situation might be different :)

Fun crossing swords with you :D but as OF functionality isn't there our duel is pointless.

Anyhow I won, cause you said Mac Mini!

:D