The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Whats is 'Sequential'? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't understand the function of the Sequential and Parallel arrows. Can someone please explain this?

Also I don't think I understand how to use the Inspect window and to be honest what it's function is supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknBlogger View Post
I don't understand the function of the Sequential and Parallel arrows. Can someone please explain this?

Also I don't think I understand how to use the Inspect window and to be honest what it's function is supposed to be.
Sequential tasks _have_ to be done in order, so in any view that shows items as "available" you will only see the _first_ sequential task. Other items only become available as you check off the previous ones. For lists that truly are sequential, it really cuts down on the clutter.

As for the inspector... have a read of the OmniFocus manual... it's fairly comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Sequential tasks _have_ to be done in order, so in any view that shows items as "available" you will only see the _first_ sequential task. Other items only become available as you check off the previous ones. For lists that truly are sequential, it really cuts down on the clutter.
So when I enter a task do I need to click the arrows to specify? Or is there any automation for this feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknBlogger View Post
So when I enter a task do I need to click the arrows to specify? Or is there any automation for this feature?
No, projects default to one or the other, see the Projects & Action groups section of the Data pane of the OmniFocus preferences. You can change it on a project-by-project basis by clicking on those arrows or by using the inspector. You can also mix and match as needed:

In this project, some items need to be done in a specific order, and others do not. The overall project is sequential, but sections of it are parallel. "Spread dropcloth" will not be offered as an available action until all of the tasks in "Buy paint and tools" have been marked complete (including the "Buy paint and tools" container task).

Regarding the inspector window: when something is selected in the main window, it'll show controls that let you change various aspects of that item (or items).

Example: if you want to set a bunch of items to all be due on the same day, you can select them, then use the "Due" field in the inspector window to set them all. You don't need to type it into them each individually.

Does that help?