The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basic questions about syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've read the manual, searched the forums and Googled first...

1) Is OmniFocus hard wired to a certain directory? I ask as older posts mentioning clicking "Move" but that does not appear to exist anymore.

2) When syncing use Bonjour I see it has a tick box "keep the sync database on this Mac", naturally I'm meant to tick it on one of the machines. However what is the effect of this, does it mean the other machine never stores a full copy of the database locally in it's hard wired local location?

3) When having syncing setup with Bonjour and I'm on the machine which does not have the "keep the sync database on this Mac" ticked and I'm not connected to the network, what happens? I'm hoping I can still add items and it syncs when I'm back on the network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontcare View Post
I've read the manual, searched the forums and Googled first...

1) Is OmniFocus hard wired to a certain directory? I ask as older posts mentioning clicking "Move" but that does not appear to exist anymore.
Yes, since the advent of syncing, OmniFocus wants to store the primary database in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/ as OmniFocus.ofocus, although you might be able to have it elsewhere if you used a symbolic link.
Quote:
2) When syncing use Bonjour I see it has a tick box "keep the sync database on this Mac", naturally I'm meant to tick it on one of the machines. However what is the effect of this, does it mean the other machine never stores a full copy of the database locally in it's hard wired local location?
No, everyone always keeps a full copy of the database and outstanding transaction history. The machine that has that box checked acts as the server which any other clients contact to do a sync, and runs a WebDAV server to make that possible.
Quote:
3) When having syncing setup with Bonjour and I'm on the machine which does not have the "keep the sync database on this Mac" ticked and I'm not connected to the network, what happens? I'm hoping I can still add items and it syncs when I'm back on the network?
Yes, the right thing happens -- your copy of OmniFocus saves the changes, and when it next successfully syncs, will propagate them to the server. By default, it tries to sync 1 minute after any change is made (including state changes such as an action becoming available), at startup, at shutdown, and hourly after the last sync. The thing you want to be careful about is making changes to the same action on two different clients without syncing between the two changes. The sync mechanism works on the action as a whole, with the last change taking precedence, so if you change the due date of an action on one machine, and change the note of that same action on another machine, when the changes are synced together, one will be dropped. This decision was made due to the relatively underpowered processor in the iPhone, which can make reconciling a complicated transaction history slow going as it is, and would be worse without this restriction. You also should avoid marking a repeating project or action complete on two different devices or you will end up with duplicates, as the code is not clever enough to realize that although it is only going to keep one of the two changes to mark the item complete, both of them had the side effect of creating the next repeat.

In practice, these restrictions aren't much of an issue, and I'm able to make lots of changes on all of my devices (iPod, iPad, 3 Macs) without syncing, with everything catching up properly when I do finally sync.