The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What do the different typefaces mean? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure this is somewhere, but I can't find it.

In the project list, I see projects that are bold, some that are italics and grey. I see actions that are blue, some that are purple. I haven't made any settings that change colors, so I assume these have meaning. But I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks!

Bold projects are those that are available--either they have no start date or the start date has arrived. Gray italic projects are pending or on hold: they either have a start date that has not yet arrived or you have placed them On Hold with the contextual menu or Inspector.

Purple actions are Next Actions: they're the next thing you can do in the project. Blue actions are Next Actions in single-action containers (all actions in such containers are Next). Black actions are available but not next. Gray italic actions are unavailable, either because they are in a sequential project but are not the next action, or because they are pending, or because they do not have a context assigned. Red actions are overdue, orange actions are due soon. (How soon is a preference you can set.)

I think the color feature is _very_ well thought out. Kudos to the design team for this very useful feature.

And if you don't like a particular color, you can change it (Command-T while you're editing an instance of the appropriate action).

Thanks for cataloguing all of those!

Thanks so much for laying this out. I had some of it sorted, but for the life of me couldn't figure out some of the rest. Great tools, once you understand them. Thanks again.

how about that, i never even noticed that there is a difference between blue and purple!

the default red for overdue items is particularly bad for colorblind or color-deficient folks as it doesn't stand out from black items (so, overdue items stand out less than "next" items), and unfortunately this text style can't be configured (it can be, but the settings don't stick between relaunches). there are other reds that stand out better (this one is dark and desaturated, which is pretty much the worst choice in terms of accessiblity), but it would be really helpful if overdue items were bold.

I have trouble seeing the grey text and I really would like to change it so that it sticks, I really don't like having to reset the colors every time I open the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
I think the color feature is _very_ well thought out. Kudos to the design team for this very useful feature.
It's decent. However, I'm annoyed that I get (after my own colour customizations) the same colour for things that are truly overdue, and things that are due today. I don't consider today to be overdue.

*lightbulb*

Things that are due today have a default time of 12am. That's why they are immediately overdue. I think that's silly.

And I don't think there is a preference to change the default due time to 11:59pm. If there is, I'd love to hear it.

Victor.

PS otherwise I love OF, and I've placed my order. I've gone through various other programs, including LifeBalance which is more expensive, and have twice started writing my own to-do-list manager. I'll stick with OF.