The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

More than one OmniFocus database? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to have more than one OmniFocus database? I have two different projects I'm managing, and each has a large number of custom-created Contexts. I don't need to use - or even see - all the contexts from one project when I'm working in the other, and having two separate *.ofocus files would help that.

/rb

Why not create a top level context for each project, and then use "focus" to well, focus? If you set up a few perspectives you should be able to pretty effectively hide what you don't want to see.

(To answer your question, I'm pretty sure you can have multiple files -- double-clicking in the finder will open them.)

While it's technically possible to have multiple files (this is more of a back door we opened to make our testing easier), we really encourage users to put everything in one database. As sprugman says, try out the 'focus' feature.

Thanks. The reason I don't want to use Focus is because the drop-down Context lists reveals all the contexts for the other set of projects. I'm trying to use OF in a different way than strict GTD, and having multiple files will make this a lot more convenient.

Setting the context filter to Active might help. Haven't done enough testing to know for sure. Seems like maybe it doesn't fully obey the "focus" settings. If that's the case, that seems like a bug.

I really think multiple files should be kept around. Yes, the easy "just open the database" model has a real usability advantage, but having the option of multiple databases opens up a lot of new opportunities for users.

For myself, I have two computers (home and work) and am running OF on each. I just back up the database (using the built-in backup feature) to my iDisk, and then I can access the DB (effectively read-only -- no changes will sync back) from either machine.

I think OF should allow multiple files. There are so many scenarios in which this would be helpful. Just one that comes to mind is that more than one person may be using the computer, and would want a separate file. It would be silly to think that more than one person should keep their data with another person's and use a perspective or contexts to differentiate between them.

Also, some people like to keep work distinctly separate from home activities. That's a valid choice, and therefore it makes sense that they have separate files for each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
more than one person may be using the computer, and would want a separate file. It would be silly to think that more than one person should keep their data with another person's and use a perspective or contexts to differentiate between them.
Mac OS X is a multi-user system. If you have more than one person using the computer, there's very little reason to not have separate user accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Also, some people like to keep work distinctly separate from home activities. That's a valid choice, and therefore it makes sense that they have separate files for each.
Why not just make a "work" and a "home" folder at the top level in planning view and focus on one or the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Mac OS X is a multi-user system. If you have more than one person using the computer, there's very little reason to not have separate user accounts.
A husband and wife might want the same settings, short cuts, etc. There is no reason why software should force someone to set up separate accounts. Maybe they leave the computer on all day and use it as needed. Maybe the parents have one account and the kids another. There are other reasons why more than one OF database / file may be useful -- as previously mentioned, work vs. home is just one of the other ones.