The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New Inspector - love/hate Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
The inspectors didn't take up that much more room than what we have.
Yes they did.

Three times as long with everything open.

[QUOTE=SpiralOcean;28336You could always collapse the ones you didn't want to see and you would have the same real estate you have now. [/QUOTE]
And now you are back to multiple clicks and mousing around

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelande View Post
Yes they did.

Three times as long with everything open.

And now you are back to multiple clicks and mousing around
My point was...
some of us wanted all of them open. Yes that is more real estate.

If you closed all but one... how it is now... the real estate is pretty much the same.

If you are speaking of having to close one and open another...
maybe a better enhancement idea would be to have an option+click.

option+click on an inspector, and all would close except the one you click on.

I'm back to 95827 for the time being. Plus there's a nasty crash in 95919 which seems to be invoked by deleting items.

This "new" inspector is a hallmark of Omni applications. It works great in OmniOutliner, where you generally set-it-and-forget-it™, but not as well when you're constantly in the inspector, making changes or looking up information.

This may be a sign that the inspector is not the best method of interacting with actions and projects, and yet another sign that treating actions, groups and projects so very differently has its drawbacks.

Ick! Ick! No! Extreme dislike! If they are going to be this way, at least make it like OmniGraffle where you can shift-click to view more than one panel at once. Hopefully that is the ultimate intention here, as they do kind of look that same, and they just haven't hooked up that code yet.

What is the point in having forced exclusion tabs? It makes no sense.

I don't like the new Inspector. It is really hard to use and too modal. Click here, click there - yikes - here comes carpel tunnel.

Please fix this!

I'd would prefer the new one if it were dynamic, but the old one otherwise.

I think once you allocate horizontal space on most 16:9 screens, you might as well have it full height.

To collapse the current inspector to its title bar is dumb, just show/hide it with toolbar or keyboard.

I still think that most of the inspector should be moved to a context sensitive toolbar ala iWork 08 (while keeping the full set of stuff in some form of inspector ala iWork 08).

-P

Don't like the new, let's have the old!

I'm loving my first few days with OF, but I have to agree with the mood in this thread: the new inspectors immediately frustrated me for all of the above reasons.

As Tim notes in the Feature request: Dynamic inspectors thread, auto-switching of inspectors is coming, just not implemented yet.

I think that will make a big difference to how well the new inspector scheme works, so if people will re-evaluate it when that happens, hopefully we'll only need minor tweaks/polishing to this scheme.