The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opening Projects for a Single Action in 1.7 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often work in Context mode. Sometimes I want to see the complete project for a single action that is viewable in context mode. In 1.6 I could double click the dot next to the action and it would open a new window showing that project.

In 1.7 this stopped working. I finally figured out that it was because this action now opens up whatever your default perspective is.

This seems like a bad idea. If I am double clicking on an action to see it's project and my default new window is a context view I don't get anything new.

Is there another way to quickly view the project for an action?

I have added the "Show the selection in Planning mode" item to my toolbar (use customer toolbar) and it will take an item selected on context mode, and show the item and its associated project in planning mode.

I don't see "Show the selection in Planning mode" option - are you referring to "Switch". This works but doesn't allow you to open the associated project in a new window.

This is a problem because when you switch back from Planning to context mode, context doesn't remember what items you have expanded/collapsed.

And, of course, it allows you to go the other way too (i.e. planning mode to context mode) if you're currently in planning mode.

-Dennis

Oops, I see we cross-posted. Yes, I believe the button CatOne and I are referring to is called "Switch" in the customize toolbar sheet.

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-08-20 at 06:57 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdevore View Post
In 1.7 this stopped working. I finally figured out that it was because this action now opens up whatever your default perspective is.
I'm having trouble reproducing this: I've tried several combinations of default perspectives (with and without a focus) and double-clicking an action handle still opens up a new focused window for me.

Could you provide more details? We do intend for this to work as it did before.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I understand now (after reading more carefully)! It's not that it's not focusing (that's what I was trying to reproduce, but that part does work), it's that it doesn't switch back to project mode…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Oh, wait, I understand now (after reading more carefully)! It's not that it's not focusing (that's what I was trying to reproduce, but that part does work), it's that it doesn't switch back to project mode…
That's exactly right. So, if your "Open New Windows" setting is "With last used view settings" or a perspective that is in Context mode (General Preference pane) you can't see the Project for the action in a new window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdevore View Post
So, if your "Open New Windows" setting is "With last used view settings" or a perspective that is in Context mode (General Preference pane) you can't see the Project for the action in a new window.
This is why I using Planning* as my default perspective. To me this is an improvement over 1.6, where occasionally the new focused window would be in context mode, because that's what I'd used last. I can understand how the current behavior would be frustrating if you want the default perspective to be context mode, so that Cmd-Opt-N opens in context mode.

Perhaps we need a default perspective for new windows and a default perspective for focused windows that open after double-clicking an action? I hate to see a solution that adds this complexity, but I don't yet see a clean, discoverable way to satisfy both use cases.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
And, of course, it allows you to go the other way too (i.e. planning mode to context mode) if you're currently in planning mode.

-Dennis

Oops, I see we cross-posted. Yes, I believe the button CatOne and I are referring to is called "Switch" in the customize toolbar sheet.
I am not referring to the switch. The specific icon I am referring to looks like a project icon with a magnifying glass in the lower right corner. The exact text is "Show the selection in Planning Mode."

It does change text if you are in planning mode to the converse -- Show the Selection in Context Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I am not referring to the switch. The specific icon I am referring to looks like a project icon with a magnifying glass in the lower right corner. The exact text is "Show the selection in Planning Mode."
Yes, that's the "Switch" button -- at least that's what it's called on the Customize Toolbar sheet. So I do believe we are talking about the same thing. :-)

As you've pointed out, the name does change once it's been placed in the toolbar.

-Dennis