The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

(flagged tasks) and (due dates for today) perspective window needed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkeydel View Post
Would your suggestion allow people to see only those actions due today plus any flagged actions, as one discrete list?
Yes, but only because you will have added flags to the due today items. I recognize that this solution may bring in new problems of its own, but I just offer it as a possible way of creating the one list that is being sought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Yes, but only because you will have added flags to the due today items. I recognize that this solution may bring in new problems of its own, but I just offer it as a possible way of creating the one list that is being sought.
Okay, got it. And not a bad solution, but as you note, it does create a few other issues.

So all of this is really good input but I think what I'm hearing overall is that the filtering need to be MUCH more flexible and available for more fields than it currently is.

Right now, it looks like we are limited to filtering only on the Status, Time, & Flagged fields. We need to ADD AT LEAST Start Date & Due Date as well as POSSIBLY Added Date, Completed Date, Changed Date, Next Start, & Next Due (the last two I am assuming are different than the initial Start and Due Dates).

I tend to use the app a little differently that what I have read here. I like to set my Start Date to be when the activity goes active and then move this date forward as things don't get done. So, as you can probably imagine, I MUST be able to filter based upon Start Date.

In any event, I sent an EM to Omni as well so let's all hope for good fortune...

Last edited by aleding; 2008-01-31 at 03:47 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleding View Post
Right now, it looks like we are limited to filtering only on the Status, Time, & Flagged fields. We need to ADD AT LEAST Start Date & Due Date as well as POSSIBLY Added Date, Completed Date, Changed Date, Next Start, & Next Due (the last two I am assuming are different than the initial Start and Due Dates).
You can already filter on start date. Actions or projects whose start date has not yet arrived are not available, so if you have the Available actions or projects filter applied, they will not appear.

Furthermore, you can group and sort by start date.

BTW, Next Start and Next Due are for repeating actions or projects; they tell you when the next start date and next due date will be if you complete the action/project now.

I also agree with kimomni's suggestion. Like sabeke, I, too, came to the forum today to look this same need.

I'm really hoping this feature will be included in the next update. It is sorely needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkeydel View Post
I've been toying a bit with Things, which offers a very clean 'Today' view. GTD orthodoxy be durned-- I think this is a good idea.
I'm puzzled by Things' "Today" view. To me, it looks like nothing more than a way to flag actions: click the little star icon and the item shows up in the Today list. How is this any different than OmniFocus' ability to flag items?

Yes, I could really use the ability to sort with an OR function.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I'm puzzled by Things' "Today" view. To me, it looks like nothing more than a way to flag actions: click the little star icon and the item shows up in the Today list. How is this any different than OmniFocus' ability to flag items?
Hi Dennis,

I'm just coming back from an abortive experiment with Things, and I think the advantageous element in Things' Today view is that actions that are scheduled to begin 'today' will automatically show up in the view. As Craig noted, you can accomplish this in OmniFocus by flagging everything that starts today and then using a 'flagged' perspective (or I suppose you could simply set 'today' as a start date for everything you want to flag). However, the simplicity of Things' implementation is definitely superior, including the ability to click 'Not Today' and have the item return to its previous state (i.e. its original set of attributes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimomni View Post
How can I set up one window that shows all of my flagged items and all of my items that have due dates for today?
Yes, I would like this feature too.
Did you send a formal request to the appropriate mail address?
Works better than placing a request in the forum.

I agree completely with the requests of this thread. The custom perspective described would be a perfect immediate attention list from which to operate, and then once these are taken care of to open it up to broader options.

My question is whether this could be solved by a script, but unfortunately I know nothing about the details of scripting. If anyone knows, I would be very appreciative of any feedback.

But essentially, would a script which automatically flagged all 'due today' or 'due within 1 week' solve the problem? And then you could simply sort by the Flagged filter.

Thanks.