The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Slow start-up (5.6 alpha) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think that getting some favicon database optimizations in will help here. (Which are being worked on by the webkit folks.)

Well, yes, there are two types of delay—the first is the one I was talking about, which means that the startup dialog is displayed for quite a long time until I get a browser window. I guess that's where Ox is the culprit—ever thought of using another format, maybe … ?

The second one is new to OW since one or two SPs I used (I'm not using the latest at the moment). After the usual delay, there's a spinning beach ball, then the browser window is opened, then a spinning beach ball again, and after some time, OW becomes usable, and from that point on, everything is just as it should be. Altogether, it takes about 20s or more (G5 1,6 MHz). New bug?

Edit: Just downloaded the current version, and problem has vanished. :-) (Still a spinning beach ball during the startup dialog, but no additional delay, and above all no delay after the browser window has opened.)

Last edited by zottel; 2007-08-30 at 02:13 PM..

no i have it too still. I think this is coming from something else too.
I usually have some tabs remaining opened and takes long time, but it can also come from the RSS which is checking everything at the startup instead of waiting that OW is completely launched ...
Anyway, there is something to be looked for on this.

I am almost sure now it comes from RSS feeds.

At work I use the same version, and i have several windows and tabs taht open at every new session and OW is usable almost immediately.

I don't think it's the RSS feeds which are causing the slowdown.

I have the same problem as everyone else in this thread and I don't subscribe to any RSS feeds and have Safari as the default reader...

Same problem for me, ridiculously SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWW startup. I had this problem with both the standard version of the software and the new Sneaky Peek Build. Tried doing what the chap recommended - trashed the OX history file in the Omni App Enhancements Folder in the Library or whatever it is called, and it provided some SLIGHT and MARGINAL speed increases...but not many.

The truly IRRITATING thing is that, on an older PC which I keep around the house for my sons to play PC games on - which is running Windows XP - Firefox loads INSANELY QUICKLY compared to OmniWeb. Why is that?

I guess, all things considered, that if you want a truly quickloading Mac Browser under OS X....nothing beats Camino. Why is that I wonder? ANd why can't the wonderful team of Geniuses at Omni somehow tweak OW to make it truly as fast in loadup times at least as Camino?

Can someone tell me this?

Miguel

What exactly is an "ox database"? Is that an Omni Group proprietary format? Or is it just Cocoa serialized data or something?

Could it be replaced with something more open and optimized, like SQLite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ata View Post
What exactly is an "ox database"? Is that an Omni Group proprietary format? Or is it just Cocoa serialized data or something?
http://typo3.open-xchange.com/forum/archive/index.php/

Quote:
Could it be replaced with something more open and optimized, like SQLite?
Well yes it can, that's the solution to the problem it just hasn't happened yet.

MiguelATF:I highly recommend sending some feedback and we can help find out what's slowing you down. There have been two problems mentioned on this thread already...

1.)The OX database which contains the full text index of your history. Clearing this history will speed things up as will deleting the OX database in your OmniWeb application support folder.

2.)The favicon database. This is being rewritten by the WebKit folks and we will add it to OmniWeb when we're able.

The ox database is the most likely cause but if you're looking for answers to your problem you really need to write in so we can troubleshoot your particular setup.

Also keep in mind that you're going to see a difference between a browser loaded down with history, cache workspaces etc and one that you don't use regularly (or heavily).

Nice work! The new build is much faster opening the window.

//magnus