The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

And it was all gone ... !!! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello to the Peoples Republic of Omniland!
I downloaded OF today to see if it could replace my current GTD app I use - hell yes it can! - and played some with it.
One thing that I really didn't like - maybe because I don't know better yet - is how easy one can delete stuff, even if he doesn't want to ... !
It might have all been my fault, but I really don't know what I did wrong.
I made the View Bar visible and allowed the due date to be seen and bang one Project was gone! Now if it was a bug I am sure you already know about it if I just did hit one key and got rid of it myself I would say that is not a good thing for someone like me. I mean we all don't want the Microsoft Windows who asks us 10 times if we really would like to print this document ... but I wouldn't like to think I could delete a whole project that easy!?
To top it all I killed everything while I tried to rebuild it because I forgot to back up the database in the first place - well at least I learned a new English word today "revert" ...
I still will stick with OF - great app!

phaty
Germany

We have a bug logged to prompt in some cases when deleting would delete data that isn't currently visible. For example, if you have a folder that contains completed projects, or project with completed actions, etc.

I have to ask again!
Will there be any kind of warning in the future that prevents me from deleting Context Folders or Projects that I don't want to delete.
It happened again today with a Context, while I tried to add a child folder to it. Again no clue what I did - but it was gone!
That is very annoying - no matter how stupid I act, but actually even then this should simply not happen.
Esp. GTD Newbies drag and drop and rearrange folders all the time.

<bug://bugs/38615> (Prompt to delete projects, contexts, or folders, or Command-Delete to bypass prompt [confirm delete])

This is currently scheduled for our UI freeze, so hopefully it will make it in to 1.0; if not, probably 1.x.

if not, I'd publish a warning [which I'm sure you will ] that it's possible for it to happen .... I lost a batch of completed tasks that way one time . that might put quite a strain on the words " trusted system " to new users . I knew I was using alpha build , If I'd downloaded final version months from now and that happened , I'd feel very differently .

Tim thanks for your anwsers - but I don't really understand it! :)
Might be a language gap.
Are you telling me that the non-existance of a warning is a bug?
In that case I would be okay with it.
I guess at the moment a lot of us try/use at least three different GTD apps at the same time (and we all know who they are) and so far Omni wins in my book. If this deleting-"feature" wouldn't be gone by Version 1.x I would have to stay away from purchasing it because there is no way I would be calm enough to not lose one folder per day ... so can I have a yes/no answer pretty please?
"Warning window" soon ... ??

Thank you

phaty

I just posted about this, not having seen this thread. I had a similar issue: I deleted a folder containing completed projects, thinking that I did not need this in my "Active" project view. Luckily enough, I thought of checking whether the completed project had been moved, and realized they were gone. I was able to undo my way out.

phaty: Yes, Tim is saying that we plan to soon add a warning when users are deleting something. The non-existence of this warning is a bug.