The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why no context = grey, italic Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There is probably a good reason, but I was wondering why an activity that doesn't have a context is gray and italic. It seems like a task without a context can still be available. Maybe in context view they would show up under a "Context Unassigned" context. Anyway, it will help to know why a context is required in order to make a task availale. Thanks.

Available means you can do it. Context means the place where it is done. I don't see why it wouldn't be logical to require a context to consider an action available - can you give an example of the use you're seeking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Available means you can do it. Context means the place where it is done. I don't see why it wouldn't be logical to require a context to consider an action available - can you give an example of the use you're seeking?
Point taken. I have just found that at times when moving items from the inbox to the projects I haven't yet assigned a context but from a project view standpoint they still are tasks that need to be done.

I am OK either way though because I will assign a context to all of my items eventually (which is what makes the system work for me, especially if multiple contexts can be assigned).

OmniFocus in this way is rather strict GTD: the item is unavailable to do until you've decide where or how to do it (by assigning a context). It can't be available because OF doesn't know where in Contet mode to display it.

That they're grey and italic doesn't mean you can't check it off as done, though.