The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

no buttons-ugly images displayed instead why? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Curious, when i load certain web pages in Camino and Safari they offer a search facility, the page displays an Aqua Gel Search Button, however the same pages in OW display ugly rectangular windows looking flat plain search images not the Aqua Gel buttons.

1) Why is this?

2) How do i force OW to always display Aqua Gel buttons? (is there something i can add to my custom style sheet?

Here is an example web page with some buttons.

http://www.internode.on.net/

I think this has to do with the fact that OmniWeb uses a more recent version on Webkit than Safari. I believe that the new Webkit draws the widgets as the site designer intends versus the browser "Aquafying" them.

Jon Hicks (Graphics / Web Designer) would most definitely know the answer to this question. He reads these forums.

The site is being displayed as it is written. You could probably override it with a user stylesheet.

Chiller is right, Omniweb uses a more recent WebKit than Safari, which allows site designers to choose whether buttons are rendered as you're seeing them, or as Safari does now. The former lets designers style form elements if they want, which isn't always a good thing. Safari will eventually become this way too.

Once the code in Omniweb is updated to a newer version of WebKit, you should be able to use a simple css file to specify that you want the Aqua style buttons.

More info here:
http://webkit.org/blog/?p=28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
The former lets designers style form elements if they want, which isn't always a good thing.
From my experience so far, it has never been a good thing. ;)

Is the newer version of WebKit in OW now?

Is it possible now to specify only Aqua style buttons in a Style sheet? If so what code shall i enter?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon
Is the newer version of WebKit in OW now?
Not at this time and it wont be happening before OmniWeb 5.6.

Quote:
Is it possible now to specify only Aqua style buttons in a Style sheet? If so what code shall i enter?

Thanks
Are you referring to custom style sheets? Unfortunately I don't think it is. At least I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Once a form button has been customized by the site designer it isn't possible at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Not at this time and it wont be happening before OmniWeb 5.6.

Are you referring to custom style sheets? Unfortunately I don't think it is. At least I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Once a form button has been customized by the site designer it isn't possible at this time.
TB im referring to this post

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...10&postcount=4

but you say not until 5.6 ok thats the answer i think.

Ah okay. You are right, 5.6 is the answer here. But, I'm actually not too sure if overriding styled buttons will ever be possible. If it is, it expect it will be dependent on how the site author designs the button and probably wont work in all instances.

Anyone know how to override author buttons and text boxes in a style sheet? I just want the native Cocoa widgets.

this is what I want to avoid

Last edited by Drayon; 2008-11-29 at 08:44 PM..