The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

I Love Emailing Tasks...but... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadInTheBox View Post
But again, the Calendar will solely rely on push notifications. You are taking pushing notifications for a 3G/WiFi synching feature only. But every single window popup you see being displayed in your iPad is called push notification. So these notifications (calendar ones included) are unrelated to your Internet connection, you could be lost in the middle of Sahara, they would still work.
I'm sorry for the confusion, but this is incorrect. Push notifications require a server to send out a message to your device over a live Internet conncection when the appointed time arrives; if you don't have one, the alert will not reach your device and you'll miss the notification.

By contrast, the calendar alerts require a 'net connection when you sync your device, but once that sync is compete, the alert times are stored on your device. Even if you don't have a live connection when the alert time arrives, your reminder will appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
At the risk of sounding like broken record, IMHO, what you guys seem to be looking for is not "strictly" GTD... E.g., DA's system works fine on just paper and pen with >100 projects...
Huh? Yes DA's system does work fine with pen and paper, and if I want to delegate a task I just hand over the folder! OK, I've read the books, watched the videos, hell... I've even read the Mother Thread, but for me without a delegation function then OmniFocus is GTDS (Getting Things Done, Slowly). Just a simple work-unrelated example, if I have 'clean the car' as an action, I want to be able to delegate that to one of the kids.

You have 724 address cards right? Wouldn't you just love to be able to delegate all those stuck actions? Just think, all those OmniFocus issues you think about starting threads for, with a push of 'delegate' they'll be whizzed directly over to whpalmer4 who can take over the chore of posting on your behalf and perhaps even offer an immediate comment. :)

I know that I'm sounding like broken record over the 'delegate' and 'multi-user' issues, it's just so frustrating that Omni has all the pieces in place yet won't do the jigsaw. I wouldn't care if we were charged $1000 a seat for a true multi-user version. Heck, we paid Adobe that for Creative Suite, which we all use probably at most once-a-week, while we each spend 2-3 hours-a-day in OmniFocus.

Since the recent release of FileMaker as an App, a couple of my colleagues are already talking about hiring a developer to set up a custom-built multi-user database to replace OmniFocus, simply because of the lack of a delegate function. I will be truly sorry if they get their way, but I understand why they believe it's necessary to Get Things Done!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-01 at 01:30 AM..

@endoftheQ check out TaskFreak. It's an open source GTD system built on PHP that let's you Share and Delegate. It let's you house everything internally. We are currently looking at it in order to fill this void with our current tools.

Again, as I've stated, we have to keep all of this under our roof and not in the cloud.

Be sure to send in an email requesting the feature.

It has to happen. ;^)

Be sure to hit up the poll:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=17059

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-08-01 at 10:39 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
@endoftheQ check out TaskFreak.
Thanks for the tip, Policarpo, I had a look at TaskFreak and it's really interesting.

However, in the last week or so, FileMaker Go has been released and (admittedly under pressure from colleagues) I've been testing it and have been blown away with how fantastic it is (my expectations were based on Bento!).

As we're in the position of already running FileMaker on our server, I've agreed that in the next month we will use a standard GTD FileMaker template and test out a large project. If it's successful, we'll hire a developer for a few weeks to tweak the template to give us any additional features we need.

Quote:
Be sure to send in an email requesting the feature. It has to happen. ;^)
Does it? I'm not convinced anymore, take a look at this thread.

Quote:
I have done, for what it's worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm sorry for the confusion, but this is incorrect. Push notifications require a server to send out a message to your device over a live Internet conncection when the appointed time arrives; if you don't have one, the alert will not reach your device and you'll miss the notification.

By contrast, the calendar alerts require a 'net connection when you sync your device, but once that sync is compete, the alert times are stored on your device. Even if you don't have a live connection when the alert time arrives, your reminder will appear.
Living and learning... so can't you just do the same thing Calendar does, a notification, from inside the app, without live connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadInTheBox View Post
Living and learning... so can't you just do the same thing Calendar does, a notification, from inside the app, without live connection?
Not prior to iOS4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Heck, we paid Adobe that for Creative Suite, which we all use probably at most once-a-week, while we each spend 2-3 hours-a-day in OmniFocus.
I don't know, to me it feels like I'm using CS4 2-3 hours a day to achieve what I could do in 5minutes once a week if some of the people I work with had Macs :rolleyes:

That is exactly why a software should be expensive, you use it little and it does a lot.