The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

List of free webDAV sync providers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I learnt of this service from these forums itself. However it was buried inside a thread. Swissdisk (www.swissdisk.com) provides 50MB of free online storage and supports webDAV. For people who just want to use it for syncing omnifocus the space seems to be more than enough. From the website it seems to be a professional and reliable service, storing data in encrypted format.

10/19/2009 Update from Omni: Looks like SwissDisk has had a hardware problem which resulted in a loss of customer data. More info in this post later in the thread.

A saw a lot of people recommend bingodisk, which costs $20 a year. Granted, that it provides more online storage, but not everybody needs that much space. And for people like me who already have paid for online storage, but their host doesn't provide webDAV, it's a perfect solution. There are so many posts in these forums asking about a free webDAV service. Was wondering why swissdisk hasn't been mentioned more.

I have an imac, a macbook and an iPod Touch synced via swissdisk, and so far its working like a charm. Beats setting up your own webDAV server on your home mac (I didn't want to leave my imac on all day everyday just for OF sync).

Last edited by Brian; 2009-10-19 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Add more info about the swissdisk situation.

Thanks for this idea; I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread. (I edited the title of the thread to make it more general.)

Sharemation is another free WebDAV provider that I know customers have had success with.

There was some confusion about whether swissdisk was free or not; it was proven that it was, so I removed those posts to keep the thread simple. :-)

myDisk.se (https://mydisk.se/) provides free 2GB webDAV accounts.

They have 5GB accounts for 50Euros/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post
Swissdisk (www.swissdisk.com) provides 50MB of free online storage and supports webDAV. For people who just want to use it for syncing omnifocus the space seems to be more than enough. From the website it seems to be a professional and reliable service, storing data in encrypted format.
SwissDisk is also run by Ben Collins, the Ubuntu kernel hacker/maintainer. That's enough credibility for me. I'll be surprised if they ever have significant downtime or data loss.

(Of course, who knows whether they're financially viable or will be around in five years. But for OmniFocus syncing and document attachment, that doesn't matter for me. Plus, given .Mac's track record, I'm not so sure MobileMe will be around in five years either...)

No affiliation.

greensgod

For german users of OmniFocus:

GMX Free email account with webdav works. At GMX it's called "MediaCenter".

Contrary to open the GMX webdav-server in the finder, as explainded in the GMX-helpfiles, for syncing OmniFocus with the webdav-server don't use

but instead use

See screenshot...

Upon pushing the "Sync jetzt" button, the OmniFocus data will be synced with the GMX webdav-server, ready to be synced with other Macs, devices, etc...

Jo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 1.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	860  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo* View Post
For german users of OmniFocus:

GMX Free email account with webdav works. At GMX it's called "MediaCenter".

Contrary to open the GMX webdav-server in the finder, as explainded in the GMX-helpfiles, for syncing OmniFocus with the webdav-server don't use

but instead use

See screenshot...

Upon pushing the "Sync jetzt" button, the OmniFocus data will be synced with the GMX webdav-server, ready to be synced with other Macs, devices, etc...

Jo
Hello,

could you please take a screenshot of your GMX MediaCenter, as the entries that look like?

Grüße aus Berlin,

G.M.

Just a note to let folks know that I recently switched from having my sync server be my MacBook Pro to using WebDAV via swissdisk. It was extremely easy.

After creating my free account at http://www.swissdisk.com, I simply set my Mac to sync to:
https://disk.swissdisk.com/user_name/
and my iPhone to sync to use "Advanced(WebDAV)" and the "location" to the same URL.

Poof. I no longer have to worry about creating a network on my Mac so that I can sync my iPhone to its server via WiFi.

To avoid my iPhone going right into sync-ing and slowing me down, I turned off its auto-sync. I simply do it manually when it is convenient for me. When I am near WiFi somewhere, the sync is fast, and when I'm not my 3G sync varies in time, but is never intolerable.

Life is good. Benefits, with no costs.

What is Swissdisk like for speed ? I use MobileMe currently and it's very slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol!ver View Post
What is Swissdisk like for speed ? I use MobileMe currently and it's very slow.
What do you define as "very slow" in this case? I just set up a SwissDisk free account and set OmniFocus to use it. My database runs about 2.5 MB normally, and I've got a DSL line that runs about 4.8 Mb/s down 0.5 Mb/s up. Both MobileMe and SwissDisk seem limited by line speed.

Are you keeping your database pruned and compacted? If you have more than 150 zip files, you'll probably have an adverse effect on your sync performance.