The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF Pricing: The great debate of '08 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Seems like you could at least offer a knock-down on the price of the desktop apps to someone who could show they bought the iPhone app first, no? Of course, this assumes you get some identifiable tidbit back from Apple that you could match against to verify that the the customer in question did buy the iPhone app...

No iPhone here, nor short-term plans for one, and I already own all the desktop apps except OmniDazzle, so I'm not heavily invested in getting you to do this, just pointing out that there might be things you could do without waiting for Apple to tailor the store to your needs...

I will point out that the Omni store gives you an automatic discount when you buy more than one app/license at a time, so it is worth bunching up your purchases!

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-07-07 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: add mention of multiple purchase discount

a few more cents...

when the last day of my eval come around - i had a next action in OF to do a pro/con analysis and make a decision to buy it or not.

well - fact of the matter is the tool empowered me to complete my first weekly review after falling off the GTD horse for at least a year and it felt even better to complete 2 in a row!

That said, it was a no brainer, I didn't even need to think about purchasing the tool - it was very satisfying to use my intuition to buy a piece of technology rather than busting out a mindmap for first time in my life :)

I big part of the decision was the community support - you guys rock!

FYI - I am a successful convert from the Netcentrics/Outlook camp - I'll write a bit more in this thread.

Doesn't Apple provide the email of the people who purchase the iphone version to Omni ? It is really hard for me to believe they don't.

So they could use that, for somebody purchasing the mac version to provide a 'combo, discount.

Additionally there should be a competitive pricing for user switching from paied apps (i.e. Things) to OF.

Finally some discount periods wouldn't also hurt.
So one week with a 20% off, wouldn't hurt the company's financials and at the same time enable more users to more easily decide.

For me a price of 65 would be more appropriate.
So for the 4K licenses bought at 80 would have cost Omni 6K which would have probably being covered by the excess licenses from people deciding not to pay the 80.

So to summarize, 80 is a lot but 50 is too little, so split the difference while at the same time provide combos and competitive discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballas View Post
Doesn't Apple provide the email of the people who purchase the iphone version to Omni ? It is really hard for me to believe they don't.
Actually, they really don't! What Apple provides us is a count of how many iPhone apps they sold in each market each day; there's no information about individual purchasers.

Quote:
Additionally there should be a competitive pricing for user switching from paied apps (i.e. Things) to OF.
Competitive upgrades do make sense when introducing a new application to a space where there's established competition (where users currently in that market have an existing investment), but in this case OmniFocus was the first app to market in its space.

Quote:
For me a price of 65 would be more appropriate.
So for the 4K licenses bought at 80 would have cost Omni 6K which would have probably being covered by the excess licenses from people deciding not to pay the 80.
That sales figure is rather dated! We've now sold 44,000 copies on the Mac and 50,000 copies on the iPhone, and both continue to have strong, steady sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've now sold 44,000 copies on the Mac and 50,000 copies on the iPhone, and both continue to have strong, steady sales.
Apparently the market feels the current price is fair, as do I. :-)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've now sold 44,000 copies on the Mac and 50,000 copies on the iPhone, and both continue to have strong, steady sales.
Wow! Very cool. I wonder how many of those Mac licences drove iPhone/iPod Touch sales. I know I'm not the only one!