The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.7 Sneaky Peeks now available. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks View Post
Please Omnigroup, rethink this approach.
+1

These icons make the SneakyPeeks really look like an Alpha release. Just like they're placeholders for the real ones to come in the finished version.

I don't know, I don't have such huge problems with the new icons and I'm a typographer and designer...

I think there's enough contrast and they match the Leopard look better than these awful coloured fisherprice icons we had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglborps View Post
I don't know, I don't have such huge problems with the new icons and I'm a typographer and designer...

I think there's enough contrast and they match the Leopard look better than these awful coloured fisherprice icons we had before.
I agree. Yes, they're different from other apps. Is that good? It's up to Omni. I also find them an improvement from what we had. Are they the best thing ever? Probably not. But they're a work in progress and an improvement.

Perhaps one should look at Shiira. I think its icons are attractive and easy to tell apart at a glance. Shiira 2.0 is quite an attractie browser, visually anyway, IMHO. I think the Omni designers could do worse than emulate aspects of Shiira. The icons are function and attractive, the top tabs are prettier than safari or firefox. The overall look is very similar to OW 5, but a bit more modern.

Last edited by Handycam; 2007-11-12 at 07:55 AM..

Adding a new feature to OW is something the vast majority can agree with, so long as it doesn't break an existing one. Icons are a different story because they appeal to pure opinion, and that makes it difficult because opinions can differ from one person to the next. Add to that that many people don't like change and Omni's designers have an interesting project on their hands with these new icons.

Having tried to get used to them for several days, I really don't like the new icons (pastel colours? Blech). But what I find more perplexing than the hideous colour choice is that they aren't very suited to resolution independence, which is an odd decision given that this is a feature that should be developed for now rather than after it has been activated in the OS.

P.S. My decrease font size icon is appearing as though it is permanently pressed - I assume it isn't meant to look that way, but is anyone else seeing this?

Last edited by JKT; 2007-11-12 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Added screenshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by owuser View Post
Icons are a different story because they appeal to pure opinion.
You don't know much about design and typography, do you? There are objective criteria to judge design as well.

If you like it is a different matter, but like = good, don't like it = bad just doesn't work, because what would we do with all the uncultivated people that have no taste whatsoever? wait... they're on Windows anyway ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglborps View Post
You don't know much about design and typography, do you? There are objective criteria to judge design as well.

If you like it is a different matter, but like = good, don't like it = bad just doesn't work, because what would we do with all the uncultivated people that have no taste whatsoever? wait... they're on Windows anyway ;-)
I was speaking as an end user who made the assumption that whatever the Omni Group releases, they would have made sure the icons followed good design criteria. I didn't think that was something that needed to be specified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
P.S. My decrease font size icon is appearing as though it is permanently pressed - I assume it isn't meant to look that way, but is anyone else seeing this?

I'm not seeing that problem, but the new font increase/decrease buttons are way too small compared to the other buttons. In "small size" they are very difficult to hit. Let's get all the icons to be the same relative size please.

The outlines around the new toolbar icons are an improvement, but I find (with the graphite appearance) that all of the buttons appear "grayed out" and I can only tell which ones are actually unavailable by scanning the entire toolbar to find one that actually *is* grayed out, and compare. The ones that are not meant to look grayed out should all have *some* bit of graphite color in them.

But the fact that they don't disappear entirely into the toolbar background is a step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
The new OW icons are quite nice, IMO. However, it you're going to have a "home" button, please make the browser have a "true" home page which is not the same thing as a start page.

In other words, I might want new windows to open blank, but I still want Google as my "home" page...
There's a simple workaround for this that I've been using for some time: Go to your standard workspace, load your desired homepage and take a snapshot. Set your startpage to blank. Given that you quit OW using your standard workspace, it will always open with your homepage, and new windows/tabs will be blank. Other than not being obvious, this method doesn't have any disadvantages compared to a "real" home page. (Apart from the point that it would be good to have the possibility to define a standard workspace that will always be opened on startup, no matter what the workspace was when OW was closed.)

That said, my 5ct about the icons: To my eyes they represent a very strange mixture of understatement (which I like) and childishness (which just doesn't fit that professional browser). Of course, I will get used to them if they won't change, and to me, sheer optics are not the slightest of a reason to abandon an otherwise great product. But still, could look more professional. ;-)

I can't rule on the new icons one way or another. I can say that I like the new profile. The new icons are smaller. At least, "small icons" give me a more compact toolbar.

One thing is for sure. It is wonderful to see that OG is taking our requests seriously and finally tacking the aesthetics of this lovely browser.

I am not sure I like the icons, either. Then again, perhaps the entire GUI is getting a makeover. So, users, please, reserve judgment until the job is done.

Payam