The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why can't I find the simplest of solutions (sorry for the long post)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quick backstory;
when I started personal productivity I learned about GTD, applied it hardcore, and failed. Struggled for years until i realized GTD doesn't work "as is" for me. "Collect", "process", "organize" are great philosophies but "do" is where all is ruined for me. I do things differently. Might be an old school approach but I want to have a blend of events and todos in a logical presentation that makes sense for how I organize my day and week.

The underlying structure should be GTD:isch with a outlining view of projects and todos, but all planned actions (which, in my opinion should be ALL tasks) should end up on a calendar. (like SmartDay https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/smar...31142563?mt=12)

The problem;
Out of an endless stream of apps NONE seems to fit this criteria. Apps seem to sail further away from this. I blame GTD. I used to work with omnifocus and sync todos to busycal, who in turn would organize my tasks according to due date on the correct day (yes I use a due-date based system and I try to put due-dates on everything). It gave me a sense of control over my life and I also would create an event of batched tasks so i would know exactely how my day/week would be (WHAT, WHEN and in which ORDER). If something unplanned happend I would simply re-shedule tasks. It was 90% complete system. 10% off for being chunky, ugly and tedious to manage.

When omnifocus stopped supporting sync I had to move to The Hit List. Works great but still chunky, ugly and tedious and since the developer seems to have vanished from the face of the earth, it will most likely be obsolete soon.

Omnifocus 2 seems to adress the need for calendar integration but its to modest, at best. SmartDay has visually a beautiful implementation of EXACTLY my needs. To bad the app is unusable due to poor programming and lack of basic "GTD" structure in projects. Calendars 5 also seems to be spot on, but lacks desktop support. And so on with every damn app i find! :(

The point (finally);
Can ANYONE PLEASE give me a tip where I can find an app-solution, available on the iPhone and Mac, which will offer me a "GTD-like" structure of tasks, with the courtesy of showing my planned tasks directly on the calendar?

Its 2013, why is it so difficult to find the solution which will remind to speak to John in between to meetings on friday at 3.45pm, viewable on a calendar so I can feel the awesome feeling that it won't slip through the cracks?

Sincerely thankful for any helpful advice!

Ps. Don't try to sell the philosophy of GTD to me. I actually increased my personal productivity by ALOT when applying my own method. Ds

Why don’t you simply “publish due items as a calendar” ( see > OmniFocus for Mac > Preferences > Sync)?

see also http://www.asianefficiency.com/techn...-ical-busycal/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd View Post
Why don’t you simply “publish due items as a calendar” ( see > OmniFocus for Mac > Preferences > Sync)?

see also http://www.asianefficiency.com/techn...-ical-busycal/
Ive been doing that, but (for som unclear reason) omnifocus won't publish more than two weeks into the future. Its also a tedious and slow process, especially when rescheduling tasks. Lastly I would say its a quite ugly solution (see smartday for a stunningly beautiful visual implementation).

Thanks for the tip, though!

Well sorry, I posted this on Sunday, I don’t know, why it took 3 days to be released.

Rickard, in the meantime I saw that you were particpating in another thread about this option. I could understand, if Omni would say, they e.g. want to keep sync fast or background activity low or whatever, but I agree with you, that 2 weeks is too little. It should at least be 30 days from today or even better a preference to set personal. I would for one would set this to 60 days.

Yes, OmniFocus is not a calendar, but there is an integration and a forecast, so why make it halfhearted with 2 weeks?

If you're handy with Applescript or know someone that is, you might be able to create an Applescript that will populate iCal or Reminders with all due tasks. Of course, it would have to double check to see if it already exists to avoid duplicate reminders.

Check out ofexport. It's a command line tool that can export of items as .ics based on a filter you build. Along with Applescript or Hazel, it might get you what you're looking for.

https://github.com/psidnell/ofexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
If you're handy with Applescript or know someone that is, you might be able to create an Applescript that will populate iCal or Reminders with all due tasks. Of course, it would have to double check to see if it already exists to avoid duplicate reminders.
The sad thing with applescripts are that they are one-way only. Not a very fluid solution, and leaves a lot to be desired... unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
Check out ofexport. It's a command line tool that can export of items as .ics based on a filter you build. Along with Applescript or Hazel, it might get you what you're looking for.

https://github.com/psidnell/ofexport
Thanks, but as quoted in the link: "If you don't know what a bash script is, have never used the command line or don't know why rm -rf are the scariest 6 characters in the kingdom then reading on is probably just going to give you a headache or worse."

This would give me "or worse".