The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using Omnifocus to be "Outcome Oriented" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm rethinking how I organize my Omnifocus. Instead of lumping things into projects at the high level of the heigharchy I want to organize them in folders according to what goals I have that this action or project helps me achieve.

There are 2 problems with this:

1) Some actions actually support multiple goals. The "learn spanish" project might help me both with "Build better relationship with employees" as well as "Enhance target marketing in Mexico". If Omnifocus had tagging I could see a way to tag the same action with multiple goals but alas. I don't know how i'd resolve this issue in the way it works now. Each project can only be shown in one folder. each action can only be in one project. Any ideas?

2) One of the things I use Omnifocus for the most is to remember what i need to talk about with the many people I have regular calls with. I had a project for each person where actions where topics to discuss with them in the past. I'd like to put those topics into the goals they support instead, and use contexts to get a view of "things to talk about with bill" using a "Bill" context. What breaks there is that i use a "Waiting" context to put things on hold and get them out of my active Perspectives. If I start using contexts for specific people, then when i change them to Waiting, I lose the association with that user. Any ideas?

That was a pretty long rant, but hopefully someone gets through it and can suggest some strategies on these two topics.

Last edited by Omni Clint; 2011-12-09 at 05:01 AM..

Nevermind on problem 2. I see from this thread what the approach could be here:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...t=11734&page=2

I already had the "Defer" script. I think i will just edit it to also rename actions to add "Waiting for:" to the start of it and that would sort of do it.

Any opinions on 1) would be great though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni Clint View Post

1) Some actions actually support multiple goals. The "learn spanish" project might help me both with "Build better relationship with employees" as well as "Enhance target marketing in Mexico". If Omnifocus had tagging I could see a way to tag the same action with multiple goals but alas. I don't know how i'd resolve this issue in the way it works now. Each project can only be shown in one folder. each action can only be in one project. Any ideas?
Well, you could sort of handle this after a fashion. Make a duplicate "Learn Spanish" project where you need it. In the notes for the duplicate project, put a link to the one true "Learn Spanish" project, wherever you've stashed it. You can make such a link by selecting the project, right-clicking and selecting Copy As Link. Paste it into the notes field of the duplicate project(s) for quick access to the real project. You can even use the link from other applications. When you click on it, OmniFocus will open (if it isn't already open) and you'll get a new window focused on the project. You'll want to put all of the actions in the real project, I think. You can do the same thing with individual actions, too.

Now, how is this actually going to help you? Won't having the project in one place provide sufficient motivation to get it done? What's your vision for how having the same project appear in more than one place is going to make your life appreciably better?

Thanks I will look into the link idea.

As for how does this help, here's what i've found so far.

If I have things organized as goals, I can easily make an assessment if i'm applying the right amount of time to reach my goals. For example, I have an "Other" project. If I have more actions listed in the "Other" project than I do in the "Take over the world" project then I know i'm not spending my time on the things that matter.