The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pay for 1.5 update? iphone won't update Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Everyone!

I need some help . . . my iPhone doesn't seem to recognize that an update to OF is available. I am running the 3.0 OS on my iPhone, but I am still on version 1.1.2 of OF. I have looked on the app store on my iPhone as well as iTunes, and neither place seems to show an update for OF. Do I need to purchase OF again to get the 1.5 update? Please see screenshots, these might help explain my situation.

Thanks!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	996   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	997   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	998  

You don't need to repurchase to get 1.5. Odd :confused:

thanks :) I didn't think the update cost anything either . . . I just can't figure out why my iphone doesn't acknowledge an update . . . it is weird, I agree . . . in addition, my iTunes on my Mac doesn't show an update either, so I am not sure what's going on.

Rather than looking for all updates, try searching for OmniFocus in the App Store. Does it offer to install? (Maybe you could post a screenshot of that OmniFocus page?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Rather than looking for all updates, try searching for OmniFocus in the App Store. Does it offer to install? (Maybe you could post a screenshot of that OmniFocus page?)

Hello Ken,

Good suggestion . . . I looked, but unfortunately it appears that I would end up paying $20 again? Please see the screenshot from my iPhone. I won't be able to check my iTunes until I get home tonight. Any other suggestions?

Thanks! Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	999  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples For Mike View Post
Good suggestion . . . I looked, but unfortunately it appears that I would end up paying $20 again?
As long as your iPhone is using the same iTunes account as it was when you purchased it, the App Store won't charge you for a second purchase of the same application.

I just verified this by deleting OmniFocus from my iPod touch, going to the OmniFocus screen (which looked exactly the same as your screenshot), touching the price (which changes it to "buy now"), touching "buy now", entering my iTunes Password at the prompt, at which point I was presented with a prompt saying "You have already purchased this item" (see attached screenshot).

The problem with this approach is that you'll only receive the prompt after you've confirmed that you want to purchase it, so you won't have a chance to back out if the App Store decides you're purchasing a different copy for a new account. That means you have to be absolutely certain your iPhone is using the same iTunes account as it was when purchased it in the first place—but if you are, yes, you can download the 1.5 update for free.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2009.07.17 11.43.56.png
Views:	700
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1000  

Hey Ken,

Thanks! Your approach sounds good :) I ma absoluetly sure it is the same account . . . I have had the same iTunes account for many years now (it's the only one I have ever had actually). I will attempt what you have just demonstrated on your own iPod Touch. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this . . . I will download 1.5 now, and let you know how it goes . . . hang on.

Thanks Ken!!! It worked exactly as you said it should!! Thank you so much for working on this for me . . . good to know for future updates . . . please see my screenshots :)

My only lingering question is why my iPhone did not recognize this as an update? Either way, it worked out in the end . . just very curious . . . I wonder what other apps of mine could be updated that I am not aware of?

Thanks again!!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1001   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1002  

Yeah, this part of the App Store interface has confused a good number of folks.

The servers store a record of everything that has been purchased, but making the customer tap a "Buy this" button before actually checking with the server is certainly counterintuitive.