The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Assign time to group instead of individual tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there, I am trying out the trial version, and I was wondering if there was a way to assign the times to a group as opposed to the individual tasks within the group. I find that sometimes certain groups of tasks are many smaller tasks, and there is no need to enter 10 minute intervals, etc.

I like to get quite verbose in detail at times with sub tasks, etc.

Thank you.

The group duration/effort is the sum of the duration/effort of all the tasks within the group.

To clarify, the feature you want is the ability to create a group, set the group duration to 8 hours, and have the tasks within the group automatically divide up the 8 hours among themselves. Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
The group duration/effort is the sum of the duration/effort of all the tasks within the group.

To clarify, the feature you want is the ability to create a group, set the group duration to 8 hours, and have the tasks within the group automatically divide up the 8 hours among themselves. Is that correct?
What happens to the group duration after that if I adjust the duration of one of the tasks, or add some more tasks, possibly setting their durations? Seems like there are two broad cases:

1) I've got a good idea of how long the group will take, but may or may not have fleshed out all of the contained tasks. As I flesh them out and possibly set durations for the tasks, the "leftover time" gets divided equally among the remaining tasks which haven't had a duration explicitly set.

2) I thought I had a good idea of how long the group will take, but life has thrown me a curve and now I have to add some tasks not reflected in my original estimate for that group. If I add some new tasks, I'll want the overall group duration to increase by the amount added, presumably.

Of course, wherever I wrote duration should probably also apply to effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post

This is correct!