The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Folder for projects or subprojects with no actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recap: projects or subprojects with completed children will not show up in the context list.

This allows projects to be stalled and also errodes my trust in my projects.

I need to always be flipping back to projects and finding projects that I am completing tasks on to make sure that nothing is falling through the cracks.

Possible Solution:
Smart Folder or other cool icon at top of context list just under the 'no context' bin that lists the number of projects with completed children.

This would allow me to easily see projects or subprojects that either need to be completed or children need to be added to it.

Would also be cool for one of those cool number icons next to the folder.
Much like the no context folder.

To be clear, do you mean projects without incomplete children? Pretty much all of my projects have some completed children. The problematic ones are those without any next actions identified.

Curt

Hey Curt,

yes... projects/subprojects that have completed children and no uncompleted children.

Or... projects/subproject without incomplete children.

Projects/subprojects that have no way of moving forward because they have no children or actions that are awaiting completion.

From a strict GTD perspective, these should be caught in your weekly review.

From a less strict perspective, Curt's script for identifying projects with no next action are useful, but it would be nice if OF identified projects with no next action defined so that we could define one.

A quick and dirty way to do so is to switch to Planning mode, filter by Next action, move focus to the outline, and then Expand All. Any project that doesn't have an action needs your attention.

But a more robust review feature would have an easier way to identify these. A couple months ago we were promised a nifty new review feature; I wonder what's going on with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
From a strict GTD perspective, these should be caught in your weekly review.

From a less strict perspective, Curt's script for identifying projects with no next action are useful, but it would be nice if OF identified projects with no next action defined so that we could define one.

A quick and dirty way to do so is to switch to Planning mode, filter by Next action, move focus to the outline, and then Expand All. Any project that doesn't have an action needs your attention.

But a more robust review feature would have an easier way to identify these. A couple months ago we were promised a nifty new review feature; I wonder what's going on with that.
That almost works... but filtering by next action does not show the actions that haven't started yet.

When I filter by next action, I see all the projects with no actions... until I filter by All, or remaining, then I see the actions that have a future start date.

So projects that look like they don't have a next action, actually have one... it just hasn't started yet.