The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problems with Iphone OF 1.1 and location awareness Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Everyone,
I have been enjoying the Omnifocus for Iphone for these last few months. One thing that really sets OF apart from other todo programs was the location awareness. It really helped me when I am on the go.It was so good that I switch from PC to Mac just to get Omnifocus for mac. The problem I am currently having is that when ever I now click on location button on my iphone it keeps getting stuck in "Finding location". I am currently running OF Iphone 1.1, with OF Mac 1.5 candidate 2. Updating via mobile me. Running OF of the first generation Iphone. I tried deleting and reinstalling app, also reset database and update database via mobile me. I know my location is available because I can still use the built-in app program to pinpoint my current location. Any help from fellow Iphone users would be greatly appreciated.

This isn't going to help, but just posting to say that I can't reproduce this on my iPhone 3G (what version do you have, btw?). OmniFocus for iPhone 1.1 finds my location without any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckVIII@yahoo.com View Post
The problem I am currently having is that when ever I now click on location button on my iphone it keeps getting stuck in "Finding location". [...] I know my location is available because I can still use the built-in app program to pinpoint my current location.
Sorry, our "Finding location" status message could be a little more clear: it starts out trying to find your location, but once that's done it proceeds to try to figure out the location of each of your contexts so it can determine which ones are nearby.

If some of your contexts are using business searches, OmniFocus has to go ask the Internet which businesses are nearby. This usually takes no time at all over a fast, reliable network connection—but if the network is slow or unresponsive (not uncommon with a mobile phone) this process could take a minute or more before OmniFocus finally gives up waiting.

We'll look at fixing this for a future release. At a minimum, we should let you know that we're trying to find the locations of your contexts rather than of your phone—but ideally, if we don't have results within a few seconds, we would display whatever we have and just update the list as new results come back from the network.

I've filed this as <bug://bugs/50214> (Nearby Contexts list gets stuck at "Finding Location" when business searches fail); thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Perhaps you can include an option to give up after a hard time threshold, settable by the user. E.g., "give up location search after 20 seconds."

ok I finally figure out the problem thanks to all of you. After Understanding how location works, I went back and check all my context. I discovered that I had accidently entered an address under a "search" instead of "address". Changing this made everything work again. Thanks everyone