The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

3.7MB download becomes 4GB! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
please try clicking on any of the download links on the Linksys firmware page at <http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayou t&cid=1115417109974&packedargs=sku%3D1121874579215 &pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper> and then watch the Downloads window. the download is listed as 4.0GB!

This is not a bug. It happens when the download is handled via a script as opposed to via a direct link to the file. I experienced it with our own site walki-talki.com (see sig). When we were testing our site with different browsers, I believe we got the same result with other browsers. Eventually, we had to resort to a less secure, direct link to the file to handle downloads because, as you guessed it, M$ Internet Explorer (truly, the lousiest browser on the planet) could not process download via script at all!

Cheers.

P

How is this not a bug?

Incidentally, I'm guessing this might be related to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
How is this not a bug?

Incidentally, I'm guessing this might be related to this.
I should have been clearer. It seems as though when a download is piped through a script, the size of the download is NOT reported to the browser. Depending on the browser, the unknown size is then reported as either a maximum (e.g., 4 gigs) or question marks. OW seems to opt for the former.

When the download is a normal file, all browsers (including OW) get the file size and display it correctly.

It's up to the OG people to decide if this is a bug, but I think it's simply a matter of too little information being supplied by the server.

P

I guess the devs haven't made up their minds yet, because I just experienced the bug again, now running 5.5b2. Yep, this time a 1.37MB download from Linksys, clearly handled by a scripted redirect.

More like we have other more pressing bugs--like the crasher on upload which we diagnosed and thought we had fixed but didn't quite, or being able to click on blocked flash (or other plugins) to load them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
More like we have other more pressing bugs--like the crasher on upload which we diagnosed and thought we had fixed but didn't quite, or being able to click on blocked flash (or other plugins) to load them.
As a loyal user, I would agree that those are the correct priorities.

P