The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating a Task Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
TCMerril, I think some of your confusion is caused by the fact that this thread is in the OmniPlan forum, not the OmniFocus forum. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMerrill View Post
That was written almost 6 months ago. 1.5 has now debuted. Is there any projection as to when a 2.0 beta will be released?
Votes added for everyone, thanks for the feedback!

No projection for a 2.0 beta yet, sorry. Work for 1.6 and 1.6.1 took place after 1.5 debuted so our efforts were focused on that instead of 2.0.

For anyone who doesn't know, we're looking for feedback on this feature. I've created a sticky post at the top of the forum with a poll. Here's the link:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11498

I just began using OmniPlan, and the ability to create recurring tasks and milestones was the first thing I wanted to do in order to plan out my project. For the moment, what might be the best workaround? Is there a fastest way to copy and paste tasks?

As for how the single vs. multiple levels choice, I would strongly prefer a way to do either one. Each choice indicates a different kind of repetition, both of which I would integrate into my project plans:

A repeating task on the same line indicates a task that is repeated without depending strongly on other tasks, such as taking out the trash, a task that might need to be done weekly regardless of the previous week's content.

A repeating task on multiple lines indicates a task that needs preparation for, such as a series regular presentations or meetings in which data from other tasks will be needed.

Repeating milestones could also be of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengolder View Post
I just began using OmniPlan, and the ability to create recurring tasks and milestones was the first thing I wanted to do in order to plan out my project. For the moment, what might be the best workaround? Is there a fastest way to copy and paste tasks?
Yep, it's called copy and paste :-) Click on the row selection handle for a task, extend the selection (if necessary) by shift-clicking on the other end of the block, do the copy (with cmd-C or Edit->Copy or right-click->Copy), click on the row where you want to paste, and do the paste (cmd-V, Edit->Paste, right-click->Copy). For now, you'll have to go fix up the dates in the Inspector, as the pasted items will retain their dates and so on.

It seems that the desire to have the repeated-task capability is one that many, many users want. The last update to this discussion was more than 6 months ago -- what is the current thinking on when this feature will be included in this software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
Votes added for everyone, thanks for the feedback!

No projection for a 2.0 beta yet, sorry. Work for 1.6 and 1.6.1 took place after 1.5 debuted so our efforts were focused on that instead of 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdretk View Post
It seems that the desire to have the repeated-task capability is one that many, many users want. The last update to this discussion was more than 6 months ago -- what is the current thinking on when this feature will be included in this software?
Since the other thread that akwong posted is a poll on how to implement the repeating task, I'd say that it is coming in 2. 1.6.3 rc1 is just out, so it seems that 2 wont be out for a while yet. 1.5 was a HUGE update, so I think the 2.0 update will bring a lot of new and updated things. Scheduling apps aren't easy to do, and you can't have mistakes, either, so it is expected that OP wont be updated as often as OF or OG. That said, this IS sort of a basic feature, so surprised they don't have it. You can sort of work around it by just copying and pasting the repeating task to a new line and updating the date, but hardly ideal. It would be nice if someone could come up with an Apple Script to automate it some how in the meantime, though.

This thread was started in 2007. I am really liking OmniPlan but recurring tasks would be really helpful. Any news on 2.0?