The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Are there any plans to include iCal synchronisation, or at least automated updating of iCal from OmniPlan?

For myself, the ideal scenario is to be able to auto-update an iCal file on a webDAV server from the project plans. That way, I can import the file into iCal, and others in my organisation can view the file also.

I've just installed OmniPlan and started tinkering, and it's looking pretty so far :)

We do hope to improve iCal cooperation, though probably not for 1.0 and might wait for Apple to release 10.5. Currently if you export as "Web Page" (I think that's what it's called in b8, we renamed it in b9) that will generate a whole folder of stuff, including several iCal files. Now if I can just coax our developers into making export accessible via AppleScript, I think it would be possible to write a script to export an iCal file and upload it to a server. Then add that to your toolbar, or set it up to run periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
We do hope to improve iCal cooperation, though probably not for 1.0 and might wait for Apple to release 10.5. Currently if you export as "Web Page" (I think that's what it's called in b8, we renamed it in b9) that will generate a whole folder of stuff, including several iCal files. Now if I can just coax our developers into making export accessible via AppleScript, I think it would be possible to write a script to export an iCal file and upload it to a server. Then add that to your toolbar, or set it up to run periodically.
Sounds like I might have to finally learn some AppleScript. If you can convince your devvies to do just that, then I for one would be real happy :)

Thanks for the quick response,
KevinL

Incidentally, my fix so far:

* mount our office webDAV server
* File->Export an ics file manually to a location on that webDAV mount
* Subscribe iCal to that file via http

As you say, if I could automate the export process, this would be sufficient.

Thanks,
KevinL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard

You folks have to get your integrated act together. OmniPlan, Outline, and Graffle should all be integrated, and of course iCal should be linked as well.

I second that, Im looking forward for ical synchroniztion on omniplan, im a bit disappointed not seeing this important feature ...

I admit I feel a little cheated as I had of course expected iCal support to already be implemented. I would like full iCal support for OmniPlan and not just support of "to-do" items as in OmniFocus.

OmniPlan exports both to-do items and events to iCal (you can select this when you're on the iCalendar export panel), but we won't have automated iCal synching support until 2.0 most likely.

Last edited by skwirl; 2007-12-17 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: wrote "full automated synching" instead of "automated synching"

Come on. Leopard's out, and now you're releasing 1.5 without iCal sync. And what's this about "...full automated iCal synching..."? Do you currently have partial or non-automated syncing? Isn't it really just manual exporting, or am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post
Come on. Leopard's out, and now you're releasing 1.5 without iCal sync. And what's this about "...full automated iCal synching..."? Do you currently have partial or non-automated syncing? Isn't it really just manual exporting, or am I missing something?
Sorry dancingbrook, I shouldn't have written "full" because it's misleading (mixed my words after reading globetrotterdk's comment about full iCal support instead of just "to-do" items). I'll revise my post above to fix this mistake.

You're right, we only have manual exporting to iCalendar right now in OmniPlan. OmniPlan 2.0 will take utilize some of Leopard's new calendaring features.

Last edited by skwirl; 2007-12-17 at 12:33 PM..