The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fast rendering, slow drawer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is the first version of 5.5 I've used and I'm pleasantly surprised, the rendering of web pages are much faster than before, very nice. I also not that the drawer is slower to appear and disappear than before.

I always have the tab drawer open, so I haven't noted slow drawer action. However, since the speed of tab rendering seems to come from using cached images rather than newly fetched images, I'd think that the initial tab drawer open would be slow if the images weren't available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkatz17582
I always have the tab drawer open, so I haven't noted slow drawer action. However, since the speed of tab rendering seems to come from using cached images rather than newly fetched images, I'd think that the initial tab drawer open would be slow if the images weren't available.
I also have it open and I use "textual tabs", the slowdown I see happens when I open/close windows

If we are making comparisons, 5.5 SP3 is much faster than 5.1.3.

The drawer seems sluggish to me. I'm not sure when it's slow for the original poster. Mine is slow when loading a workspace. The drawer sometimes wont appear for ~2-8 seconds after the window appears.

Hiding and showing the drawer is snappy.

When I switch to a workspace for the first time after launching OmniWeb 5.5sp3, I'll sometimes see a "halting drawer":
  1. Blank white window appears.
  2. Drawer slides half-way open, with several blank tabs.
  3. After a momentary delay (half a second?), the drawer slides the rest of the way open, and the tab content is restored.
After that, opening and closing the drawer is smooth.

-- Ward

Quote:
After that, opening and closing the drawer is smooth.
Perhaps that was once the case. Today I'm seeing the halting drawer opening when switching back to a workspace viewed earlier in an OW session (e.g., my Omni Forums workspace).

-- Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Perhaps that was once the case. Today I'm seeing the halting drawer opening when switching back to a workspace viewed earlier in an OW session (e.g., my Omni Forums workspace).

-- Ward
Well, I'm finding the need to restart OW daily as it tends to grind to a halt after a day of use. Have you relaunched OW lately?

I read Forrest's message in email. So as a test I quit OmniWeb 5.5sp3, relaunched, and opened my Omni Forums workspace (1 window w/ 4 tabs). As before, the tab drawer hesitated when it was 75% open.

-- Ward