The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Subprojects, "Done dates" column, and Scientific Protocols Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

In Ethan's videos I noticed that subprojects do not get their own icons or other drag-and-drop designations in the left-most project list view. Has OmniFocus added the functionaity where subprojects get their own icon and show up in the project list view hierarchy? This would greatly help with LARGE projects that inherently need many levels of hierarchy. Nested folders will not suffice because folders themselves cannot have actionable items, only "projects" can.

Also, is there any way to show date information in the main view without having to open the inspector? It would be great to be able to see lots of interesting date information next to each actionable item, and also be able to sort ascending or descending by this column of information. Is this currently possible in OmniFocus?

Also, I am very interested in using OmniFocus when executing a protocol in lab (i am a graduate student). Although I think this would actually be useful for a wide range of people, I do not see anything like this functionality in OmniFocus currently. The idea would be as follows:
Create a protocol to be followed in OmniFocus or OmniOutliner
As each item is checked off, be sure to date/time stamp it. This could then be automagically converted to displaying the time it takes to do any particular item in the protocol. As protocols are repeated and refined, you could make it display the average time it takes to complete each item in the protocol as you get more and more efficient in the protocol.
Have the ability to include URLs that are clickable (e.g. for taking you to a specific product page)
Make the protocol easily exportable and printable, leaving room for hand-written notes that may come up during the protocol execution (e.g. so it could be given to a co-worker so that he/she could execute the protocol easily without having to touch the computer).

Finally, OmniFocus needs the ability to make nice-looking and customizable reports with detailed date information printed as well. This would be awesome for collaborations and when describing to advisors progress on various projects in a much more organized fashion that writing out text in paragraph form.

Super-finally, OmniFocus needs the ability to estimate the date/time that an actionable item will be completed and save and display this information alongside the item. This would help with integration into OmniPlan as well as with making the printed reports easier to understand on a large time scale for people not intimately involved with the project (i.e. your supervisor).

thank you!

jmil

I think you might want OmniPlan for that lab project.

I think most of what you'd want is there right now...

We have a start/end and duration columns, and you can check each off. You can also add notes at each step.

I honestly had not thought of using OF for lab work, but now that you've brought it up, it really is a *very* nice fit.

like so:

Not be able to play with the program yet, what was displayed above is, in fact, very promising as long as we could have an "archive" of protocols that we then copied into the correct location for actual use. Will there be a way of doing that?

Is it really patiently waiting if you have no choice?

Ron