The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Tell me what I should do... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My work computer is not allowed to have a connection to either MobileMe or a WebDav server. I had been syncing between that and my home computer via a USB stick, which had been working very well.

I got myself an iPod touch yesterday (yay!) and I have a MobileMe account. I synced the iPod and home computer using MM and thought that I would just remove the work computer from the equation. But, this being my first day using the mobile version of OF, I'll be honest and say that it is quite difficult to use in a planning mode. So, is there a way that I can easily keep syncing the two computers using the USB stick and then sync home/iPod via MM without the three clients getting very confused?

Oh, and I can't plug the iPod into my work computer and can not have wireless turned on on the iPod at work.

I thought most places that did that sort of thing wouldn't let you walk around with a USB drive either. Seems like locking the front door while leaving the patio door secured only with a screen door!

I'm really not recommending this, and I know that Omni wouldn't recommend this, but I think if you really had to make this work, it might be possible. You would set up the home machine to sync with your iPhone via MobileMe/iDisk, in the usual fashion. The work machine would be set up to sync to Disk (the USB drive). Once you had the phone and home machine synced, you would copy the file from Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus on your MobileMe iDisk to the USB drive and take it to work. There you would insert it in the work computer and sync to the USB drive. Then the next time you wanted to sync changes on the work machine back to home and iPhone, you would sync the work computer to the USB drive again, take it home, copy the file back to the correct place on your iDisk and have OmniFocus sync. The catch is that I'm not convinced you can have systems on both sides of the USB drive making changes to the database simultaneously, so you'd have to make sure that you only had it running on the work machine when the iPhone and home machine were not running it, and vice versa. Otherwise, you'd need a program that could merge the respective files together. If you simply copied the file from the USB drive onto the iDisk and had made changes on both sides, you would lose the changes made on the desktop/iPhone.

I think Omni could support such a feature (with some additional code, obviously) if they thought it worth their while, but it would probably be a support headache, and I wonder if there are enough customers to make a good business case for it. You should use Help->Send Feedback to ask for it if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I thought most places that did that sort of thing wouldn't let you walk around with a USB drive either. Seems like locking the front door while leaving the patio door secured only with a screen door!
They are changing the rules, but I will be on maternity leave by then, so officially not my problem :P

Quote:
I'm really not recommending this, and I know that Omni wouldn't recommend this, but I think if you really had to make this work, it might be possible. You would set up the home machine to sync with your iPhone via MobileMe/iDisk, in the usual fashion. The work machine would be set up to sync to Disk (the USB drive). Once you had the phone and home machine synced, you would copy the file from Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus on your MobileMe iDisk to the USB drive and take it to work. There you would insert it in the work computer and sync to the USB drive. Then the next time you wanted to sync changes on the work machine back to home and iPhone, you would sync the work computer to the USB drive again, take it home, copy the file back to the correct place on your iDisk and have OmniFocus sync. The catch is that I'm not convinced you can have systems on both sides of the USB drive making changes to the database simultaneously, so you'd have to make sure that you only had it running on the work machine when the iPhone and home machine were not running it, and vice versa. Otherwise, you'd need a program that could merge the respective files together. If you simply copied the file from the USB drive onto the iDisk and had made changes on both sides, you would lose the changes made on the desktop/iPhone.
This is what I had thought of doing; it is basically what I did last night to initially sync the iPod. Certainly the home machine will not be running OF while I'm at work, but if I only sync my iPod at home after the work sync (I can't have the wireless on at work) then would the two lots of changes be merged?