The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO Pro 4.0 - what features should be removed? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Let's open an alternative OO Pro 4 thread.
What feature of OO Pro 3 would you like to see removed in OO Pro 4. What don't you use in OO Pro 3? :eek: :eek: :eek:

My two favorite remove-candidates:
- Clipping Service
- Audio Recording

Other wishes for OO Pro 4:
- Make it faster
- Remove some dazzle from the inspectors! (take Mellel as an example...)

Praise OmniFocus!
- it's a very good idea not to stuff this GTD-thing into OmniOutliner.

By the way - thats not ironic or something - i like OmniOutliner very much, use it every day, and the above mentioned would be great improvements to me. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi
Let's open an alternative OO Pro 4 thread.
What feature of OO Pro 3 would you like to see removed in OO Pro 4. What don't you use in OO Pro 3? :eek: :eek: :eek:

My two favorite remove-candidates:
- Clipping Service
- Audio Recording

Other wishes for OO Pro 4:
- Make it faster
- Remove some dazzle from the inspectors! (take Mellel as an example...)

Praise OmniFocus!
- it's a very good idea not to stuff this GTD-thing into OmniOutliner.

By the way - thats not ironic or something - i like OmniOutliner very much, use it every day, and the above mentioned would be great improvements to me. :)
Why would that be an improvement? I make quite a bit of use of the clipping service, and even if I didn't it's non-existence wouldn't improve the app for me; same goes for audio recording ... I don't use it but there are those who do! And I really do not like the Mellel UI, but do like OmniGroup's Inspectors, in both OOP and OGP!
On the other hand, I too agree that OmniFocus is probably a good move ... I'm not a GTDer, so I don't use the Kinkless macro, but the fact that there are many who do is their concern not mine. On the other hand, developing a GTD app for those who want one, and a project management app (OmniPlan) for those involved in project management seems like a good idea, 'cos that means that OO(P) can develop more specifically in the direction of writing and information management, without having to satisfy the needs of those other two groups of users.
Mark

Just looked at the forum for the first time and noticed some request to dump audio and that it was causing some people problems.

I just registered so as to be able to post my resistence to this idea.

As a long time outliner user (back to the days of More and Thinktank) and as a sometime musician I love this feature and use it for quick audio idea capture.

It works perfectly on my system 10.4.10 and when used with QuickTime Pro it is particularly useful.

I simply write some notes regarding the music, record and click the right arrow which opens up QuickTIme Pro and am then ready to do all sorts of things with the sound file.

It is very useful to be ale to combine music with some description of what you are doing in the same file.

By the way I love OOP. Great job!

Please keep the sound recording capability. It works excellently for me.

Howard

I agree with the 2 replies. Please don't remove audio recording. In fact, please do what you can to enhance it.

Not only do i want to oppose these suggested 'improvements', but i would say that the whole idea of asking developers to remove features simply because they don't happen to appeal to me, is asking for all sorts of trouble. Maybe Omni should remove the option to use coloured fonts, because i have a black and white laser printer, and aren't those drop shadows a little too fancy? and who really needs extra columns? and why not get rid of the inspectors altogether - we've got the drop-down menus after all?

Seriously, the clipping service i use now and then (it's intrinsic to some other apps- eg devonthink), but when i'm not thinking about it, it's invisible. It doesn't get in the way of anything. Audio recording i never use, but it really doesn't bother me that it's there, and i might find a use for it some day.

Please let's kill this idea of asking Omni to remove things. I get more done with OO than any other single app. on my mac. It's the starting point for most of my projects, and i wouldn't want to switch to another app. just because somebody somewhere doesn't like some feature.

OmniOutliner is a great app - because it's so flexible and adaptable to the individual. Please let's encourage Omni to concentrate on improving its already great features, not ruining it.