The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Version 1.0 Manual Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniFocus is certainly promising, but I'm finding that, as I'm using it, there area all manner of items that I don't know how to access (where are those "buckets" that I see people talking about? How do I set up subprojects?). But there are very few answers to be found in the user help, and no manual that I can find. I know that the information is available somewhere (after all, so many people seem to know about some of these items), but its location seems to be a little obscure. Will this improve when 1.0 is released? Or am I already not seeing something obvious?

Same feelings here, somehow I got lost during all updates. Now OmniFocus is an feature laden thing, I lost my grip on. I don't have time to read trough all posts here, so most features are unknown to me. Like I said before, we need a new video, explaining and training us..

To answer the specific question, "buckets" are now "boxes"; they were named "buckets" because of the icon and the tendency for GTDers to think of areas of similarity as "buckets of <something>".

In OF, they represented the group of single, unrelated, actions (i.e. those not part of a "project"). It's where an action such as "call mom" might live; there are no other actions necessary.

Thanks. But I'm not seeing boxes either. Unless it's the item that I get when I ask for "Add Single Action List" in the File menu. But that item is confusing in itself. The box item has no context, and I'm able to add a bunch of actions to it.

Unfortunately, a new beta became available while I was working on it, and I let it update. Everything I did today was wiped out, and I'm back where I was when the day began. I suppose Time Machine could get it back for me, but I think I'm going to give up on it for now. I'm having a hard time believing it that it's ready for release in a couple of days.

Malcolm-
I think that they are talking about singleton projects. I posted a quickstart tutorial at:

http://gregdevore.screenstepslive.co...?lesson_id=202

At the end of the lesson it shows how to change a project type to a singleton or box ("singleton" is the tooltip that shows up when you rollover the icon in the inspector).

Malcolm, don't give up. OF-the-application is actually quite mature, I've never lost data in six months of using it (I have all the backup options turned on, and I've never needed them), and it takes time to get familiar with it.

A manual will help. So will some patience and a willingness to play with the application.

You may feel more comfortable with unimportant data; I'm assuming you already have another process you're using. Keep using it while you try out OF, rather than using it as your only action repository.