The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Memorizing and restoring inspector dimensions/locations? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to get OmniGraffle to memorize the location and sizes of Inspector windows and restoring them? I use a laptop with different external monitors and I'm getting sick of moving the inspectors around by hand each time I change locations.

The “Workspaces” feature seemed like the right way to go, but alas, as far as I can tell, it does nothing. I setup a workspace based on my current configuration, but whenever I restore it, none of the inspectors do anything nor does the main window move around. Be darned if I can figure out what it's meant to do.

Thanks for any help...

Well, the workspaces feature is meant to solve the problem you're having, though it won't do anything with the document window - just the inspectors and utility windows.

If you set up a workspace for each of the different screen configurations you move between, you should be able to hit the function key associated with that configuration, and have the inspectors move to the correct spots/sizes.

I've only got one screen attached to my machine, but the feature appears to be working for me. If I set up a snapshot, then change the position/size of some of the inspector windows, they move to the spots/sizes they were at when I made the workspace.

(Note that if you're in the same configuration as when you made the workspace, nothing will change. I'm also not sure how it'll handle a workspace that includes multiple screens when those screens aren't attached...)

If the problem is still occurring, you should probably use the Send Feedback item under the Help menu to send an email to the support ninjas so we can try to figure out what's going on here.

Yes, with two screens attached (laptop screen and external monitor) restoring the workspace doesn't do anything at all on my machine--including not moving the inspector windows. I'll send feedback to the ninjas, thanks!

Ah ha! Turns out that the workspace doesn't work (for me) until I quit and relaunch the application.