The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think you can use a Symbol feature?
Oh Snap! Definitely A MUST HAVE! 2 40.00%
Probably would use it, that does sound Interesting! 1 20.00%
Yeah, Maybe... Okay sure go for it 1 20.00%
Nope, wouldn't use it. 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

New Symbol feature! on Objects or Groups Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't begin to tell you how awesome this feature would be if you added it to OmniGraffle...

Basically the problem is this. I often have to mark an object with a special indicator, like these four boxes which are not adjacent to each other have a special characteristic, like increased security or control feature.

I want to suggest that you add a feature that would allow us to select a series of standard small icon symbols, like a star, happy face, check box, circle, diamond, recycle symbol, etc. etc. or add our own symbols.

So we can set the corner or alignment of that symbol (or symbols) to the top right or left corners, or any alignment, middle side, bottom middle, etc.

I also think it shouldn't be limited to just one symbol. It can be multiple symbols that line up right next to each other depending on the orientation of the alignement, i.e. if it's on the side, they line up on top of one another, otherwise, side by side.

Once we have the symbols in place we can create a legend... Hey! That would be another great feature. A legend feature with all the colors we use in the diagrams.... but I'll save that feature request for next time. :)

Once again, I can't tell you how useful this feature would be for me and probably all of us using OmniGraffle.

Please take your user feedback seriously and implement this feature for us. It could be one of the best new features OmniGraffle can have.

Thanks,
Edward

If you want your feedback taken seriously, use Help->Send Feedback to deliver it to Omni. Stuff posted on the forum is not guaranteed to be seen, and doesn't make it into the development database. It is useful for getting other people interested in your idea, but that only helps if they also send in feedback...

Yeah, I did send it to them too. They have received the request.

Thanks

I don't have a need for such a feature, and I doubt "all" OG users have such a need.

You may be confusing the drawing tool with a database rendering tool.

Why don't you use different shapes (the same basic shape with slightly different characteristics) to symbolise the slight differences. Eg. Visio with the PC Tower symbol, with add-ons for database; web; app server; etc. You can place them all in a Stencil, which will make them easy to retrieve and use. When you want to change an object from one shape to another, it takes just one click in OG (via the Inspector/Styles/Lines&Shapes).

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-09-28 at 01:31 AM..

Yeah, probably not "all" users. I think it depends on how you use OG. Not every time, but often when I use it I always have little symbols that are usually placed in the corners to represent some feature or characteristic. Since the size and proportions of those shapes change (considering the dynamic nature of OG links) it would be good if those things were continuously associated with a specific justification, such as right top corner.

I think it's hard to visualize this feature without having it made since it depends a lot on the speed at which you can add these icons.

Can you explain what you meant by
"When you want to change an object from one shape to another, it takes just one click in OG (via the Inspector/Styles/Lines&Shapes)."

Anastas

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastas View Post
Yeah, probably not "all" users. I think it depends on how you use OG. Not every time, but often when I use it I always have little symbols that are usually placed in the corners to represent some feature or characteristic.
First let me say that I have your need, I produce drawings such as those you describe, all the time. I use OG exclusively to produce such drawings, but I have no need for the proposed feature. It takes me one click or one drag to add or change such symbols to shapes on my diagrams. I do not think I misunderstand your drawings or your need at all.
Refer attachment. The simple symbols are simply Fonts (yes, it is a good idea to use simple modifiers) and the complex symbols are from my stencil (Chris Heath's Glass Buttons Stencil plus my mods); and yes I do have many more modifying symbols.
Quote:
Since the size and proportions of those shapes change (considering the dynamic nature of OG links) it would be good if those things were continuously associated with a specific justification, such as right top corner.
1 the size/shape of shapes (which are symbols themselves) in a semantic diagram should not change and should not be variable (lest you lose the concept of semantic!), but I will set that aside for now.
2 Just group the shape with the modifying symbols. Following that, the behaviour (size, proportion, justification, etc) should be as expected when changed, and require no further effort from you.

Quote:
I think it's hard to visualize this feature without having it made
Well, it might help to draw one up so that we can communicate about the exact details. I butchered an existing diagram to produce the attachment, took me a full 15 seconds (the upload took minutes to organise).
Quote:
since it depends a lot on the speed at which you can add these icons.
My shapes and modifiers are all sitting in a Stencil. It takes me:
• either one click and drag to add these symbols or modifiers
• one click to change a simple shape
• to change (replace) a complex shape: one click plus ⌫ keystroke; followed by one click and drag to add the new one

The Legend takes a minute or two.

(It is such a small effort to add/change these modifiers, these symbols that add meaning to shapes, that therefore I do not need the proposed feature. I already have it in OG, the number keystrokes cannot be reduced further.)

Quote:
Can you explain what you meant by
"When you want to change an object from one shape to another, it takes just one click in OG (via the Inspector/Styles/Lines&Shapes)."
Sure. Let's use a simple shape (without symbols or modifying symbols) in order to avoid complicating this simple task/operation:
• draw a simple circle using the Shape drawing tool from the toolbar.
• notice that in the inspector, the Style/Fill, Style//Lines&Shapes, Style/Shadow and Style/Summary have all opened up, because a circle can be manipulated using all those properties.
• the circle which we are going to change needs to be selected
• in the Inspector, select the Style//Lines&Shapes tool; it will show, in the third segment from the top, a list of Shapes possible
• click on say a square
There, with one click you have changed a Shape into another Shape.

This works with complex or grouped Shapes as well, you need to "click through" the layers to select the simple shape within the group.

Cheers
Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anatas Example.png
Views:	754
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1605  

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-09-30 at 03:20 PM..