The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recording on a meeting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recording stops when you have to change tab and make a note. It's very problematic when using omnifocus on a meeting.
It should work like evernote I believe: recording and at the same time taking notes in the new full screen area.

That is a good point. I have been thinking about OF as a universal tool for both the note taking and the action note part of the usual workflow. I think having the new larger note-entry-field makes things a lot more comfortable already. What you describe is something some note apps already have, basically recording with built-in note taking, ideally with indexing of time. I am no programmer so I can not tell whether or not that would consume a lot of ram/CPU, create large files or would promote crashs. If it can be done I think it would be value adding.

Another thing thats possibly easier to do is something I thought of last night:

If I am in a meeting and taking some notes then I usually come to the point where something is to do. I am a lawyer in the business sector so when the client tells me about his project/problem/venture I simultaneously identify what I have to do to get him the result he wants. Now I tried using OF iPad for note taking and it works well. One thing that would really improve the workflow though would be if I could add tasks from within the notes.

Example:

Client tells me: blah blah blah this venture blah our competition started something comparable blah blah blah too high cost blah blah

Filtered:

- have somebody check target market for competition and ongoing published development to prevent copyright issues

- have somebody check the target market for financial framework and possible optimizations.

I wrote those down within the notes and later manually made actions from them as children of the meeting. What would be really useful would be if I could just highlight the text in one line, get a context menu and tap "create action under current project". Then whatever was in that line goes into the title of a new child action under this action/project I am taking my notes in and I have a perfect action list when the meeting is over, plus my notes. No idea if thats a lot of work to do or not. But it would be a feature I would call really adding a serious chunk of value for business users since taking notes and creating the essential action items from those is what most people I work with do.

Great post. A solution should be to record on evernote and take notes on omnifocus

If you do that, does evernote continue on recording even though the app is in the background and you are using OF for the notes? It would not be ideal but, if it does to continue recording, a workaround for some. Not for me or people on the professional end though, I am afraid. Recording meetings is a very sensitive issue and uploading such on evernote is far off limits for security/confidentiality reasons for most professional business usage. For not so "important" (non-confidential) meetings it might work though. Just not in the law business.

I just started recording in Evernote and then invoked OF where I entered a task. When done I went back to Evernote, it was still recording. I stopped it and played back - sure enough, my whole conversation while working in OF was there.

I also tested this with my voice recorder, Audio memos, and it also continued recording as I worked with OF.

Last edited by pvonk; 2011-05-27 at 09:39 AM..

The privacy is an issue. But recording makes your life much easyer in complex mtgs. Any way i ll sumbit my request as a future update.
And yes evernote can record in the background