The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Average Sync Times Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Now that 1.1 OF on iPhone is out and I can use Bonjour syncing, my sync times have fallen from about 50-90 seconds to about 4 seconds. And my database has 100s of projects. I'm a very happy camper now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Now that 1.1 OF on iPhone is out and I can use Bonjour syncing, my sync times have fallen from about 50-90 seconds to about 4 seconds. And my database has 100s of projects. I'm a very happy camper now.
Glad to hear it!

We worked hard to improve sync times in v1.1 in general (reducing the number of network transactions we have to perform), so hopefully WebDAV syncing wouldn't take quite so long now either. But it's hard to beat a local Wi-Fi connection to your server!

I've made a point of using the archive function to reduce the size of my OF db. Still I'm finding that every week or two I have to run the CoalesceDatabase.scpt file posted on these forums some months ago.

I usually know it's time to coalesce because iTunes takes for-ever to backup the phone. Forever meaning over 10 minutes, where it usually takes two minutes.

I just did the operation a few minutes ago, shrinking my db from 1.7 MB to 282 kB (over MobileMe).

I kind of suspect that syncing over EDGE has a little to do with it. No proof, though.

I hate to beat on this particular horse, oh OmniGurus, but having to run a script outside of the native application to keep the database in working condition seems wrong. Could it be there's something corrupted in my database that is causing this disk hoggery? I hope so, because this problem kind of feels like owning a car where I have to get a new battery installed every few weeks--it works great for a while, but then serious manual intervention is required.

peteypolo: It does sound like something's not going quite right for you. Next time it starts slowing down again, I'd recommend emailing our Support Ninjas (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) with a list of the file names inside your .ofocus file. They may also want copies of the .client files. This will give them information about which clients are syncing when, but won't reveal any info about your actual actions in OmniFocus.