The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Add "+1 Day" to all tasks not finished - Automate Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For items that are "starting today" is there a way to automate an add "+1 Day" due date to the task ?

This script, for example will make that kind of adjustment to all selected tasks.

I would put due dates on tasks/projects only if it is a "real" hard deadline. If there are consequences after a due date, that would be a hard deadline. If nothing happens after a due date has passed, that would not be a real or hard deadline.

If you decide to put due dates on many tasks, you will psychologically train yourself to ignore due dates when you have a long list of overdue tasks. I would refrain from using due dates unless really needed.

Examples of hard deadline:

Due Next Tuesday - buy anniversary gift for wife
Due Next Tuesday - Call/make reservations at wife's favorite romanic restuarant.

Serious consequences will occur if I don't complete these tasks by next Tuesday.

Examples of soft deadlines (not real or hard deadlines):

Wash car by Friday
Mow the lawn by Friday

No major consequences will occur if these tasks aren't finished.

Trying to manage too many soft deadlines will become mind-numbing. You'll learn to eventually ignore them. This negates the real value of using due dates only on tasks that should have them.

Many of my OmniFocus tasks or projects are things that I would like to record and keep track of. Many of my projects are automatically placed on "On Hold" status. This eliminates many tasks from being seen in context mode. I will set the status to "Active" when I have the desire to turn my attention towards projects for the next 7 days.

Active use of "On Hold" and "Active" status will help you keep focus on what you really want to get done.

I don't have the need to see everything. Just the things that I want to focus on in the next 7 days - items that have a real/hard deadline and the three Big Rocks of the Week (the 3 major projects I would like to make progress on in the next 7 days but have no real due date).

Thanks that was a real good idea from wilsonng

@Max58: You're welcome ;-)

You can actually find some great tips on workflows from the eBook "Creating Flow with OmniFocus." It's well worth every penny. The author, Dr. Kourosh Dini, has a few workflows provides several different workflows that helps you figure out OmniFocus. Then modify the workflow to fit your workflow.

http://usingomnifocus.com/
(just a satisfied customer, not affiliated in any way to Dr. Kourosh Dini)

Mastering perspectives and the "On Hold" and "Active" status is very helpful. This is what I use for my Someday/Maybe projects and my current projects on deck.

Here is a set of links showing examples of OmniFocus at work:
http://usingomnifocus.com/resources/

I would set projects to "On Hold" and place it in a Someday/Maybe folder. Every week during my weekly review, I have the choice of putting existing projects back to "On Hold" and drag it to my Someday/Maybe folder or keep it active.

Then I would look at my Someday/Maybe folder and decide which "On Hold" projects I will start working on for the next week. I usually have anywhere from three to six projects in any given week. I never try to have more than six active projects on deck. I change the project status from "On Hold" to "Active."

My mind will go numb if I have one hundred possible tasks available to me. So using "Active" and "On Hold" is necessary for me to focus my energies towards the Big Rocks I want to finish.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-01-30 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Added link