The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to add a project focus to a perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
in order to mainly focus my attention on specific and very important projects that need several actions during the day, I created a very simple perspective named "Important projects", focused on four or five projects.

When during my weekly review I consider that a project needs more attention in my day-by-day activities, I'd like to "add" it to that perspective, but I can't see how I could simply modify the "Focus on" in a perspective: the only way I found is to select again the projects I want to stay focused on and save again the perspective, but in this way I need to remember the previously selected projects and find them again in my tree: not really fast.
Is there any other way?

Thanks,
Francesco

This is a very good question. We can't work on all project at the same time and the focus menu alouds if i have well understood only but one project. I have found no way to do it exept to make on hold all my project but the one i am working on which is not a good way to do it so sure... I am very interessted by the answer. If you have found a way to focus on a short project list just tell us so... Chears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
This is a very good question. We can't work on all project at the same time and the focus menu alouds if i have well understood only but one project. I have found no way to do it exept to make on hold all my project but the one i am working on which is not a good way to do it so sure... I am very interessted by the answer. If you have found a way to focus on a short project list just tell us so... Chears
Use command-click to select multiple projects in the sidebar before running the Focus command.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by magobaol View Post

When during my weekly review I consider that a project needs more attention in my day-by-day activities, I'd like to "add" it to that perspective, but I can't see how I could simply modify the "Focus on" in a perspective: the only way I found is to select again the projects I want to stay focused on and save again the perspective, but in this way I need to remember the previously selected projects and find them again in my tree: not really fast.
Is there any other way?
Yes, you are on the right track. Go to your perspective, and select all the projects in the sidebar. Now click the Show All button in the toolbar (or do View->Show All Projects) and focus will expand, but you will still only have your selected projects show in the outline panel. Scroll through the sidebar and cmd-click on any projects you wish to add or remove to update the selection. When you are ready, focus again, and save the perspective again. Unfortunately, I don't think it will offer you the option to simply update the old perspective.

Francesco,

Are you using flags for anything else? If not, you could flag the projects that you're interested in, then use a perspective that just shows flagged items. (Tasks inherit flags from their parent project, so you would only need to toggle the flags on the projects themselves.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Francesco,

Are you using flags for anything else? If not, you could flag the projects that you're interested in, then use a perspective that just shows flagged items. (Tasks inherit flags from their parent project, so you would only need to toggle the flags on the projects themselves.)
Great !!!! it works perfectly. For me it's OK thanks indeed.

Quote:
Francesco,

Hi Curt,
it seems a good hint, but how can I filter the project list using the flag?

Ciao,
Francesco

Just set the status filter in the View Bar to show Flagged:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-05-23 at 9.25.22 AM.png
Views:	1822
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1410

Curt

Quote:
Just set the status filter in the View Bar to show Flagged:
Attachment 1410
Hi Curt,
thank you, but what I mean was to filter the projects in the left panel, not just the actions, and I seems there is no way to do this (using the flag status).

Thanks,
Francesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Yes, you are on the right track. Go to your perspective, and select all the projects in the sidebar. Now click the Show All button in the toolbar (or do View->Show All Projects) and focus will expand, but you will still only have your selected projects show in the outline panel.
Hi whpalmer4,
thank you for yor hint, but it doesn't work for me. When I click "Show all", just one project remains selected in the sidebar, even if I selected all the projects in my perspective. :-(

Ciao,
Francesco