The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Review Date on Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a single action project that I would like to set a review date on. When I inspect the project I see that I can set a "next review" date. The default is today's date at 12:00am. If I change it to any other date/time, click out, and re-inspect the project, the date is changed back to the default. Maybe I don't understand how this review date is supposed to work. Essentially I just want to be able to know when I need to review the items in this project.

Are you clicking on the little calendar icon in the inspector field, then clicking on a date, then closing the inspector by clicking on the red dot? That would cause your change to be lost. Hit return to save your change.

The idea behind the Next Review date is that you bring up a Project mode view, grouped by Next Review. The top of the window will be the project most due for review (oldest Next Review date). You look at the selected project, and then use the Mark Reviewed button (not in the default toolbar, but available for addition if you use View->Customize Toolbar, or press cmd-shift-R) to mark it reviewed. That advances the Next Review date by the Review Interval, updates the display, and selects the next project. You continue through all of the projects due for review today or earlier, then stop. Doing this every day will allow you to have projects with differing review schedules depending on how often they need attention; this is a very powerful feature, and with a bit of cleverness, you can actually spend only a small amount of time each day on reviewing, instead of doing everything in one indigestible lump as you would typically do in a canonical paper-based system.

If my guess about what you're doing above isn't correct, I would select the project that you can't set the next review date on and do the Mark Reviewed operation, then see what happened to the next review date. If it didn't change, try File->Rebuild Database and repeat the test. If still no luck, contact the Omni support people tomorrow via Help->Send Feedback or by telephone (800-315-OMNI or +1-206-523-4152).

I am hitting return after picking a date from the little calendar in the inspector. The date selected is however not reflected. I also tried the rebuild to no success.

That's how I thought it would be used. Perhaps I'll give them a call.

Sent an email to tech support. I should probably mention here in the mean time that it seems as if the review date is sticking but the time is not.

Ah, yeah, you used to be able to specify a review interval of hours, but they ripped that out around the time the iPad app debuted. Apparently I might have been the only one using it...judging from the database file, the next review date appears to get the local equivalent of midnight GMT regardless of when you do the review, so changing the review time without changing the date won't do anything useful now.