The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

filtering actions within projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I found a simple divide of my folders into Personal and Work most effective for my needs (plus additional folders for Anti-Procrastination, Someday, Maybe).

Under each I have within the two main folders DAILY ACTIONS, WEEKLY, MONTHLY, ANUALY (for those which repeat) and one for SINGLE ACTIONS.

Within each folder I have Actions (which function as my projects) and under those all of the steps I need to do to achieve that goal.

All has been good.

When I try to sort these Actions (for example Remaining, Due, Due, Remaining, Any Status, Any Duration) I get a list that includes all of my actions. Those which need be done next highlighted in a color or bolded per my settings. However, with OmniFocus on my iPad all of the Actions I don't need to see are pruned away.

What step am I missing to get the same view in Omni Focus on my iMac?

Said again, I would like to see only the Actions which are due next and not all of the other actions.

Cheers,

Steven

You want to check the availability filter: It allows filtering on remaining (all actions that are still to be done, including blocked ones), available (any action that is not blocked), and next action (the first available action in each project (*).

(*) I guess that in a Single Action list, all actions will be displayed for the next action filter.

Thanks for the response.

It didn't work. Whatever sorting I use, for example Due, even if I select Next Actions projects without a Due Date still show up. (Those projects don't even have a Start Date.)

What puzzles me is that on the iPad this doesn't happen.

In Projects view the status filter only distinguishes between flagged and unflagged. In context mode there are however 4 more, which include the due flags.

When I hit the 'Due' perspective (not sure whether it is available by default) I only see tasks with a due date.

Is that what you are trying to achieve? Only actions with a due date, or does it need to include any next actions for a project?

What about flagging the project (the flag on its actions is light, instead of bold). Does that help?

Nick

You can use perspectives. Click on one of your folders, say Daily Actions. Right click and chose "Focus."

Now filter at will (say, show only next actions). Once you are seeing only the actions that you want, click on Perspectives, and save as a new perspective. Now, when you select the new perspective, you should only see the filtered actions that relate to the folder you initially focused on.

Daniel.