The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Caches bypassed when loading workspaces Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've noticed that when I load a workspace in OmniWeb, every request causes a TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH_MISS on my Squid proxy. (Normal browsing does not.) Presumably this is because OW is sending a "Pragma: no-cache" or "Cache-Control: no-cache" header.

What is the rationale for this behaviour? Is there any way to change it? Squid is pretty good at figuring out when resources need to be refreshed, so I would only like OW to force a refresh when I manually request it.

Ideally we would rather revalidate pages rather than forcing a reload, but there isn't an API in WebKit for that. Our current options are to prefer the cache or force a reload--if you would prefer to load from the cache, you can set a hidden default
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspacesLoadFromCache -bool true

Thanks, that will do nicely. :)

Is there a list anywhere of what all of the hidden preferences and defaults are?

Something akin to the keyboard shortcuts?

There is a list on omni's website...
http://www.omnigroup.com/Documentati...sList-5.0.html
but it is not 100% complete (as I found when I went to look up the default i shared with you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case View Post
Ideally we would rather revalidate pages rather than forcing a reload, but there isn't an API in WebKit for that. Our current options are to prefer the cache or force a reload--if you would prefer to load from the cache, you can set a hidden default
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspacesLoadFromCache -bool true
Excuse me, but, what do we do with this code? And can it still be used with 5.10.3? Why not putting it as an option under the preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdlo View Post
Excuse me, but, what do we do with this code? And can it still be used with 5.10.3? Why not putting it as an option under the preferences?
It's a Terminal command. Launch the Terminal app (it's in your Applications/Utilities folder) and copy and paste that string in, followed by pressing the return key. Best to do it when OmniWeb isn't running.

As for whether or not it works, why not try it? If you can't tell if it is working or not, it must not matter :-)