The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

view options for OPML files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I save all my files not as .OO3 but as .OPML, so that I can view the outlines I create in MindMap, import to Scrivener, etc.

I've changed the appearance of my Default.oo3template to just the way I like it, with a larger font size and a more generous "Indent children" number under "Row Spacing" so that I can more easily see the my different levels. Unfortunately, Omni Outliner Professional does not apply the template styles to .OPML files.

1. Is there a way to get Omni Outliner to apply templates to OPML files?

Or, if not, then:

2. Does anyone have an Applescript script that will set font size to 20, set "Indent Children" to 50, close the Inspector and Utilities, and open the document in Full Screen mode?

Thanks!

On 1., probably worth remembering that OPML does not encode formatting information – just plain text nodes and their nesting/indentation, with optional attributes/fields/columns which are properties of the whole text node, rather than of particular text runs within it.

As wonderful as the .OO3 format is for its inclusion of rich text attributes, portability of files is essential for my uses. I teach college courses and vastly prefer having my lesson plan as an outline on my phone so that I can walk around the room rather than being tethered to a laptop at a podium.

That said, I would love to be able to change the default style for rendering .OPML files on my Mac. It feels ridiculous to have to hit select all, choose a font, and choose a size every time I open a file. When I do decide to use the .OPML file from my laptop in class, these few steps can be distracting enough to ruin momentum in lecture or discussion.

Like the original poster, I'd greatly appreciate feedback or any tips on controlling how .OPML files are rendered. I won't speak for the original poster, but I understand that .OPML means that I can't save rich text. I specifically am asking about editing a global default—whatever is currently telling the program to open all .OPML files with 12 point Helvetica when I need something larger.

There may be such an option, but I don't know of it. I would contact Omni directly (posting to forum is not equivalent) and ask if such a thing exists.

If not, the following trivial Automator action can be saved as an application and placed in the dock. Dropping an OPML file on the application icon will cause OmniOutliner to open the file and set the font size to 16. Unfortunately, you'll still have to bring OmniOutliner to the front.

RobTrew is the original author of the script included (in modified form).

Thanks whpalmer4 (and RobTrew). That works nicely for my needs, which are more basic than the original poster's.

And, honestly, thanks for the reminder that posting in the forum ≠ actually contacting OmniGroup directly!