The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Where is Autocomplete finding a bad email address? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Every time I start typing one of my email addresses into a Web form, OmniWeb's autocomplete offers a truncated email address (no ".com") along with the correct address.

I expect I typed that truncated address sometime long ago, but now I can't get rid of it. It's not in the Autocomplete list in Preferences, it's not in the "email*" fields in the AutoFill list, and it's not in my Address Book.

Where else should I look to get rid of this bad address (and similar unwanted completion strings)?

-- Ward

OmniWeb pulls autocomplete from both your autocomplete and autofill lists so you might check in the autofill side of the preference pane to see if it is present there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
OmniWeb pulls autocomplete from both your autocomplete and autofill lists so you might check in the autofill side of the preference pane to see if it is present there.
I suspected AutoFill might play into this, but AutoFill is currently unmanageable. I have a request in for sorting and multiple select.

My AutoFill list takes 31 page-down clicks in the scroll bar to get to the end of the number and "a" fields.

I'd discard my whole AutoFill list except it takes two clicks to delete each entry (select & "-" button).

-- Ward

Yeah, management of all this data is really horrible right now. This is an ugly workaround but you can manually edit this stuff via the preference plist.

If you have developer tools installed (specifically Property List Editor) or Plist Edit Pro, you can open the OmniWeb preference file and locate your autofill data and manage it this way, look for the key called 'OWFormAutoFillSets", your autofill data will be stored inside.

Plist Edit Pro lets you actually do multiple selection.

If you just want to nuke all your autofill data, you can do this via the defaults tool in terminal.

Code:
defaults delete com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWFormAutoFillSets
Your preference file is of course located at:
~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist

If you're interested in Plist Edit Pro it can be found here:
http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/

If you really want to edit the preference file in a text editor you can convert the preference file above to xml like this:

Code:
plutil -convert xml1 ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist
Then open it in the editor of your choice. OmniWeb will understand the file in this format but it may degrade performance a little. You can switch back to binary by replacing xml1 in the above command with binary1.

Zuking my form value did the trick. According to the Plist editor, I had 4000+ values recorded, 99% of which were of no value.

Sorting and multi-select would allow regular pruning of this list.

-- Ward