The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Spell checking: Automatic by language not working anymore Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It somehow seems that the "Automatic by language" spell checking setting does not work anymore. I am not sure when this problem appeared, but the 10.6.4 update might be a candidate (not sure though).

Strangely, the setting does still work in apps like TextEdit and Mail, but it does not work in OmniOutliner (it also stopped working in Mellel, for example).

When I open a German language or mixed language document in OO, the spelling service treats all text as English. To work around this, I have to set spelling to German (using the command+colon shortcut).

But that is not enough, since this setting does not work right away (i.e. all text is still treated as being English). To get it working, I have to close and re-open the document while OmniOutliner remains running.

I tried to reset the spelling dictionaries, checked the different forums and, using the information that I found here, cross checked that the AppleSpell.service in /System/Library/Services does indeed contain the dictionaries that I use, which it does. I also checked the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file in my user library, but it seems to be fine too.

I already filed a bug report to Apple, but I wanted to check if anyone here has an idea why this stopped working or how to work around this issue. I found the Automatic by language spell checking feature very useful – until it stopped working…
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozean View Post
It somehow seems that the "Automatic by language" spell checking setting does not work anymore.
Consider yourself lucky... It never worked for me in OO...
:-(
 
I have the same problem. Spell checking works fine in TextEdit and Mail, but not in OmniOutliner.

I do not know exactly when it started, but I think it was later than the 10.6.4 update. I am running 10.6.7 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozean View Post
It somehow seems that the "Automatic by language" spell checking setting does not work anymore. I am not sure when this problem appeared, but the 10.6.4 update might be a candidate (not sure though).

(...)

I already filed a bug report to Apple, but I wanted to check if anyone here has an idea why this stopped working or how to work around this issue. I found the Automatic by language spell checking feature very useful – until it stopped working…
 
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but the issue still exits in the most current version of OO / OO Pro and the most recent release of OS X Lion. It would really be great if this could be fixed in the next update – or if somebody finds a workaround that is less troublesome than the one presented in the first post…
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic layout and DOT language attributes fbennett OmniGraffle General 1 2009-04-30 06:55 AM
Spell Checking and Localisation MarkH OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 4 2009-03-27 05:53 AM
Feature Request - integrated spell checking Mr.B OmniPlan General 0 2006-09-19 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.