The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Window > Close Tab Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you only have one tab open, Window>Close Tab closes the main window. IMO, this is incorrect behavior. The command to close the Window in other apps is usually named "Close Window".

I noticed this since I created a Cocoa Gesture to close a tab, like I have in Safari. I do this so that I can quickly close a tab without mistakenly closing the window. In OW, however, there is no way to differentiate between a tab and the main window.

Are you saying you want the tab drawer to close when you only have one tab open, to dynamically remove/disable the Close Tab command in the Window menu, and to dynamically change the Close Window command to Command+W.

Other than that, I think the behavior is perfectly intuitive as long as you can clearly see that there is only one tab open and therefore closing it will close the window. Further, you can tell there is only one tab open by the lack of a dot in the red close window widget; it only appears when there is more than one tab open, thus presenting a dialog confirming window closure that would lose multiple open tabs.

Well, in FF, the file menu says "Close" (cmd-W) for a single tab. Open up another tab and now you have "Close Tab" (cmd-W) and "Close Window" (shift-command-W). This, I like.

This way, if I have a Cocoa gesture (or, in FF's case, a mouse gesture) linked explicitly to the "close tab" command, if the command is grayed out, my gesture does nothing and I don't inadvertently close the last tab.

Last edited by Handycam; 2006-06-16 at 11:07 AM..

Handycam,

I've filed a request for this, thanks! I must agree that I feel the current implementation works well but I don't think the firefox method is out of the question (though no guarantees you'll see this of course)

Last edited by troyb; 2006-06-23 at 12:17 AM..

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I find FF's method of simply renaming an action (eg, command+w is close tab sometimes, and close other times) a bit kludgey. I have never had an issue with OW working this way, however I have never used the Window menu bar item to close a window.

If anything changes, I ask that the method for closing windows and tabs via keyboard shortcuts does not change.

It could also be a user pref.

Handycam,

is Cocoa Gestures not allowing you to set separate gestures for closing tabs and closing windows? ... It works for me.

would the tab drawer being open have anything to do with your request?

for example:
if there is no tab drawer open and you have more than one tab, close would close the tab and go to the next one.

if there is no tab drawer open and you have one tab, close would close the window.

if you have the tab drawer open, and you have more than one tab open, it should close out that tab and go to the next one.

if you have the tab drawer open, and you have only one tab, it would close the tab? window? (what happens when you have _no_ tabs in a window?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
is Cocoa Gestures not allowing you to set separate gestures for closing tabs and closing windows? ... It works for me.
Actually, afb brings up a good point: there already ARE two separate commands in the window menu. And yes, I can assign a gesture to either.

HOWEVER, Omniweb is not listening to it's own menus -- "close tab" will close the WINDOW if it's the only tab. IMO this is wrong. There's a "close window" command to close the window -- close tab should merely close tabs that I have opened. If there are no additional tabs, then "close tab" should be grayed out -- there AREN'T any tabs to close.

If this one thing is fixed, then the behavior would work as I expect. Assigning a cocoa gesture to "close tab" would never close the window.

Thanks, afb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
If there are no additional tabs, then "close tab" should be grayed out -- there AREN'T any tabs to close.
Ah, but there is always at least one tab if a window is open. As it is, a window cannot exist without at least one tab. So it seems like what you're asking for is a feature request that a window be allowed to exist without a tab. If that's the case, I'm confused as to what the purpose of a window without a tab would be.