The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Why doesn't OW use ~/Library/Cookies? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I note that the system has a shared cookie infrastructure that is not used by OmniWeb. Is there a reason not to do so?

Ditto Apple Syndication service.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
I note that the system has a shared cookie infrastructure that is not used by OmniWeb. Is there a reason not to do so?

Ditto Apple Syndication service.

I don;t know how cookies are dealt with, but if I quote remember, OW supported RSS before Apple offered the Syndication Services.... That might explain why OW doesn't use them,
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
I don;t know how cookies are dealt with, but if I quote remember, OW supported RSS before Apple offered the Syndication Services.... That might explain why OW doesn't use them,
Certainly all of OW predates the Safari infrastructure. But I hope it would be faster to tie into the existing infrastructure than to fix the gaps in the current support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
Alea Jacta Ouest
Were I to try that it would end up in the ocean...
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
Certainly all of OW predates the Safari infrastructure. But I hope it would be faster to tie into the existing infrastructure than to fix the gaps in the current support.Were I to try that it would end up in the ocean...
Keep in mind that, until 5.5, OW supported more revs of OS X than Safari. I'm going to take a gander that some of the services you mention don't exist in 10.2.8.
 
Quite a few people (myself included) don't want OmniWeb to share cookies with Safari.

Otherwise, you couldn't use one browser to use one yahoo email account and the other to use another (for example).

I have considered adding multiple independent "Cookie Jars" but that will probably have to wait for 6.0--but the shared infrastructure is not likely to support that either.

As for the syndication services--I'm afraid I have been too busy with the WebKit port to look around too much... which apple syndication services are you talking about?

I did notice that Safari uses a PrivateFrameworks/SyndicationUI.framework and there is also a PrivateFrameworks/Syndication.framework, but Apple doesn't like Third-Parties using private frameworks and will occasionally intentionally break API in them if they find people are using them.

Is there a public API that I missed?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Quite a few people (myself included) don't want OmniWeb to share cookies with Safari.

Otherwise, you couldn't use one browser to use one yahoo email account and the other to use another (for example).
Interesting to see how you others do things, thanks. I have the opposite need: there are several pages OW can't display but Safari can (probably a long-term if not permanent issue, as could be the reverse of course). Some of those pages are behind logins managed by cookies. It's quite handy to quickly check and is and a pain to re-log in.

You could improve your example by improving the selection of alternative autofills (though it's imperfect: you'd still have to log in/out manually). I have this with Citibank and Universal Card: the former ate the latter and now the autocompletion always tries to provide the password and uname of the former when I try to use the latter. Perhaps if there were a way to tell autocomplete "not that uname/pw combo; please try another". Then you could memorise both account authenticators and swap that way.

I have the same problem with those little consumer routers that always seem to be installed on networks at 192.168.0.1.

Quote:
As for the syndication services--I'm afraid I have been too busy with the WebKit port to look around too much...Is there a public API that I missed?
Ahh, guess I should have waited until August on that one. Good thing I tacked it on gratuitously to a more substantive message.

Thanks,
g
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case View Post
Quite a few people (myself included) don't want OmniWeb to share cookies with Safari.

Otherwise, you couldn't use one browser to use one yahoo email account and the other to use another (for example).

I have considered adding multiple independent "Cookie Jars" but that will probably have to wait for 6.0--but the shared infrastructure is not likely to support that either.
Would very much like to have the option of sharing cookies with Safari - for example, when trying to work with dashboard widgets, since those are loaded in Safari, but when you click a link, it goes to OW (the default browser). Keeping cookies between the two would make the site think it's talking to the same person.

Maybe an option, not on by default, so that others who don't want to share cookies don't have to.

I like the cookie jar idea - a lot.

-Craig
 
One reason why I use different browsers are to separate cookies etc. and for me personally it would be a "bad thing" if OW shared the cookies with safari (and other apps that "pollute" the "cookie library")
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
One reason why I use different browsers are to separate cookies etc. and for me personally it would be a "bad thing" if OW shared the cookies with safari (and other apps that "pollute" the "cookie library")
That's why having it keep them separate by default is a good idea, but providing an option to people who would like to share them (like me)!
 
Just yesterday, Safari 3.1 latest version on this PowerPC wiped ALL of its cookies in ~Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist

I thought about reporting it to Apple but I remember Rosyna from Unsanity, as an advanced developer already documented the full issue there:

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/app...bug_filers.php

I think it should have option to Import Safari cookies and nothing else.

It is a Intel Apple bug recently made its way into PPC, very sad.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with cookies gazhayes OmniWeb General 3 2012-10-02 09:21 PM
Removal of Flash Cookies PhilMac OmniWeb Feature Requests 0 2009-09-18 06:29 PM
Cookies? SteveL OmniWeb General 3 2007-04-21 04:23 PM
Temporary cookies not working ? ianm2 OmniWeb Bug Reports 0 2006-09-07 06:45 AM
yahoo! groups and cookies sportbiker OmniWeb General 1 2006-08-08 08:36 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.